Heatwave

The sun was shining brightly, lighting up patches of the house and giving the photosynthesis that the plants needed. The bird chirped and the sprinkler shot out water. Everything was as normal and peaceful as it should be. This is how it was a few days ago. Now there are burnt pieces of wood scattered amongst the floor, embers everywhere as if they had conquered the yard, waiting to start another fire and smoke rising to be taken into the skies.
I slumped onto the couch. I knew today was not going to be eventful. I switched the TV onto the news channel to hear the words that made my heart stop. “The Australian bushfires have only been getting worse, affecting thousands of people each day. Today a huge fire is rapidly making its way towards Highland Hills because of all the bushland there. Anyone living in this area is warned to evacuate immediately.” My jaws fell open.
“Mum and Dad!” I shrieked. “There is a fire near our house!” I raced into my room and grabbed anything I could. I peered out my window, trying to get a glance at the fearsome flames.
“Come on, let’s leave immediately,” Dad exclaimed as he stuttered on his words.
I grunted and pushed my luggage into the back seat of the car when I heard the door creak next door. I peered through the bushes and saw an old lady strolling towards the road in a wheelchair. I wanted to cry out and give her a ride, but I couldn’t because there was no space in the car. Hot gushes of wind blew into my face, just like on a hot summer's day. Dad hurled out of the driveway so fast it felt like a drag race. It was at this moment that the epiphany struck me like lightning.
“Stop the car!” I screeched as if something terrible happened.
The car abruptly came to a halt, and I hopped out of it.
“Where are you going? Come back!” My parents both exclaimed in unison.
I bolted towards the side of the road and approached the old lady cautiously.
“Excuse me,” I said, looking down at my feet. “Do you need a safe ride out of here?” I asked, waiting to hear an eager 'yes'.
“Darling, you are such a sweet young boy. Thank you for caring about me, but I think you better get out of here while you can. There wouldn’t be space in the car anyway, I’ve been in this wheelchair for 16 years.” The old lady said.
I listened in disbelief as tears slowly rolled down my cheek.
“Please, come with us.” I urged the lady.
I wheeled her towards the parked car, hoping for an escape. I grunted as my bags cluttered and spilled all over the driveway. I held my breath as I heaved the lady into the backseat. The old lady thanked me as we sped away to safety. In the distance, I saw the fire devouring everything in its path like an unstoppable force. My homeland was surrounded by fire, like a group of animals enclosed by its predators. I saw kangaroos hopping to their freedom, leaving everything behind and starting a new life, a new journey. I closed my eyes and listened to the sound of sirens getting louder by the second and I smiled, knowing that I had just saved someone's life.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!