Family Traditions


26th January 2019
As I stepped out of the car, a wave of heat brushed against my skin. The air was as hot as the sun and as salty as the ocean itself. We had arrived. Bondi Beach. As a family tradition, we go to the beach each year, on Australia day, and this was no different. Then, as I got used to the bright flash of light, I heard it. The cheers of hundreds of Aussies, as they celebrated the most iconic day for all Australians, Australia Day. The beach was crowded, packed full to the brim. Everyone was playing together, either volleyball or Marco Polo in the cool, blue, shallow water. As my parents unpacked the car, I watched in amazement at the crowded beach. I had never seen so many people acting as if they had known each other their whole life. After sundown, the commotion around houses was immense, as everyone lit up their ‘barbies’ to prepare the most classic Australia day meals.

25th January 2020
As we tuned into our local radio station, we heard the worst thing imaginable. ‘Health Officials have reported that the Coronavirus has been detected in Australia. To keep this virus at bay, please stay 1.5 meters away from others and do not go out unless essential.’ The radio blared as we sat there in silence.

26th January 2020
As we headed to the beach, as per our tradition, I only saw emptiness. The streets were deserted and no one was to be seen. Once we arrived, the beach was barren. Few people came to celebrate this iconic day for all Aussies. As we headed toward the ocean, slowly, the few people there started to move away from us as if we had the plague. As the day wore on we grew restless and tired. The sky was dark and cloudy, almost as if it were sulking. Then as the sun slowly started its descent, for the first time, there was no smell of lamb or sausages. The solemn darkness covered the sky as we made our way home.

26th January 2021
As I awoke excitedly, I realised that the beach would be empty again. I could bring a friend! I thought excitedly. As I hurriedly ran downstairs, I tried to convince my parents to invite my friend Jeff, but when we called him, his parents refused. ‘I’m not risking him getting this Coronavirus just because you need a friend!’ After that, we reluctantly headed to the beach. As we arrived at the beach, I noticed something. There were people! There weren’t as many Aussies, maybe 100 or 200, but still enough to make Australia day feel special! Everyone was keeping their distance, but still, everyone was talking to each other as if there was no virus. They wore masks but were still enjoying themselves. There were games of volleyball and beach cricket, but the most important thing that I saw was everyone coming together. Even though Aussies were in lockdown, they all came together to celebrate Australia's most unique day of the year. The day that makes all Australians, ‘Aussies’, Australia Day. Then as the sun went down, the air was thick with the smokey smell of sizzling sausages on the ‘barbie’.`

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!