Darkness Can Conceal

The setting sun cast long stretched shadows across the debris that scattered the ground, causing it to set alight the sky like fire to a stick. A soft sliver of a moon was like a claw in a void, and I looked up to see a quilt of stars now covering what used to be the sky. Oak trees acted like arrows stretching far into the heavens and the fresh cool air tickled my nose, filling it with the smell of oak and moss. Cold, rotting leaves brushed against my face and the wind slipped through my hair as I ventured deeper into the forest. The sun had finally drained, leaving the woods sheathed in darkness. I dove behind a large oak trunk just off the path. Heart slapping my ribs, I gulped at the air, trying to slow my breathing enough to hear what lurked just a few metres in front of me. In the shadows, branches snapped, and someone growled sharp orders to his men. I pressed my face against the trunk while bark bit at my skin, as I tried to become one with the tree to avoid detection. My throat became dry, and my muscles tightened with distress. “CRUNCH”. Fear had paralysed me! My heart still thumping against my chest, I managed to be overseen by a flood of figures. The trees crashed against each other like drums in a band. The wind whipped at the tree that shaded my existence. I delicately shifted out of sight of the ongoing army traveling deeper into the forest.
A slight and startling shiver crept down my spine. Branches cracked and the wind howled through the trees as if giving me a warning. The hammering of feet against the ground steadily faded into the distance merging into silence, the wind still rustled the leaves while the whale of wolves ripped through the silence. I waited quietly; anxiously. My heart still slammed at my ribs; my breath still shallow. I wanted company; just to hug me and say it was fine. Tears welled in my eyes as I started to walk.
The moss that scattered the ground muffled my steps. My head spun with paranoia. Constantly looking back my pace began to quicken. I wanted to leave; I wanted a friend; I wanted someone. “HUFF” My breath was getting shallower. My face was sweaty. This forest was the bane of my existence. My fear has shattered my confidence. So, I just kept running.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!