Malani And The Shadowpiercer

Red blood taints the grass. I decide to try out one of my powers. I scoop a handful, I lick it off my fingers, it tastes of iron and salt. As the blood dissolves in my mouth I can recall the recent memories of the person whose blood was spilt. The person was thinking of his wife and his children. I clench and then unclench my fists. I allow myself to stand and wipe the blood off my legs. I scoop a handful of it and raise it to my mouth. With a jolt I see the memories. She was thinking of my mother, father, brother, sister and me. It’s my sister, Jane’s blood. Unshed tears slide down my cheek but I shake them off. I pick up my bloodstained gun from beside me. I stand on my shaking legs. The ghosts of my past haunt me, literally. The spirits are stained red. They float beside me as I run back to the city. I don’t care that my clothes are covered in blood. Let them see it. Let the ones who murder the innocents, my father, fear me. I will make my father pay. I will make him pay for lying to me about how my mother left. For allowing my brother to follow in his footsteps. I was unsure about helping support the Eagle-Fey Guard and their cause at first, but now I will not hesitate. I will avenge my mother’s death and my sister’s as well. I had once believed that I was one of the Viper Guardians. But I see that the Viper Guard isn’t named after our sacred animal but because they are monsters, venomous snakes and poisonous reptiles. They taint the earth, they taint humanity. I run through the city, rifle in hand. I ignore the voices that yell for me until I hear them. Rolleen and Sparrow call my name. I stop to see their desperate faces, pleading with me to retreat back to camp, I immediately regret the glance in their direction and run into the palace. I still remember the palace grounds. I climb the flights of stairs. I run through the diamond halls and into the throne room where he sat.
“So, you have come to face me, Malani,” My father, King Erana, says in a cold voice.
I say nothing but I move my hand into my pocket seeking out my weapon of choice. The iron sword of light, Shadowpiercer. I remember what Madame Hilda told me, nothing can kill King Erana, only Shadowpiercer and some other weapons can, her voice repeats in my mind. Something catches my eye. “Mother?!” I breathe.
There she was standing in a golden gown, her wrists bound with electricity and a solemn look on her face. “I’m sorry,” she says. She raises her hand and my eyelids drop slowly. Shadowpiercer is not at my side, but I know I won’t be killed.
Yet.
But I am a faery and I am a warrior.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!