Hard winning

We were at the state athletics.
.. I’m not exited because Im not running in a single race I was supposed to be in every one but I hurt my ankle a week ago now and I rely on crutches for life. I used to be one of the best runners in our school. I hurt my self at training when I was running up a hill, I fell. Immense pain took over my foot. I went to hospital and found I had torn ligaments in my ankle. I was allowed to come to athletics but just watch. I hobbled out of the bus and onto the track. The wind blew my hair back making my ribbon blow on my face I felt like I was never going to run again. I was led over to a seat at the finish line. I slumped down in the seat and buried my face in my jacket. The eight hundred began. I was supposed to be in it. Near the end I sat up to cheer a girl from our school on. She was coming first. But behind her some one was catching up. She was just about to win when a girl clipped her at the end. “Maddy bad luck” I said to her. She grinned but I could tell she was disappointed. Next up was Danielle in the 100m. Danielle was my replacement so was Maddy. If these girls didn’t win our school would lose. I screamed encouragement at Danielle but she also came second. I sighed- only Alison was left. The teacher came up. “Alison is sick she’s not running.” Then I realized I could make a difference. I was determined to be in that race. I chucked my crutches and hobbled over to the starting line. I didn’t care what other people said. The teachers were running towards me but the cat-gun had gone off. I was relying on my other leg as fast as it could go. The teachers stopped dead in their tracks. I was getting close now. Nothing could stop me. Nothing in the world mattered now, just me and the tracks. I remembered what my dad said “run over the line.” I stepped straight on it. When I started to walk the pain shot up my leg. I collapsed and people rushed over to me. I was breathing heavily and fell into a teacher’s arms. Tears were streaming down my face. I had won! And in addition I had been racing boys not girls. I was given a trophy and I held it up in front of every one. I was still crying after a while I fell asleep in the teachers arms. I now know what winning is all about.
Alison came up to me the next day. “You really are the best runner in the whole state!”

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!