Fear

Glistening high in the sky, Walu the lady of the sun, the bringer of life and death, and the center point of the universe glared down at me. The dry heat made my throat feel like sandpaper while sweat crawled down my back. Dirt ridden hands brushed over the low undergrowth, scavenging for food or ‘merne’ as my grandmother would say. My stomach growled like a lion waiting for prey. I stared out to the vast Australian bushland with nowhere to go but forward, going back was not an option.

Out of the corner of my eye I spotted a roo. Nibbling the swaying grass. With a tail the size of a didgeridoo and large powerful legs she seemed unstoppable. Until a searing memory flashed through my mind. Stormy eyes stared into the depths of my soul. Unable to move I sunk to the ground while tears fell upon the dry earth. My breathing quickened. An explosion in my brain sent thoughts spiralling out of control. All I could feel was the pain of the kangaroo after each hit.

I stared at the reflection in the billabong nearby and saw a girl with tear-streaked cheeks, skin the colour of midnight and warm almond eyes. Memories flooded my brain of the unsuspecting kangaroo and the goanna standing over her postrate form. I have seen many animals fight in the wild, but this kangaroo was different. I could almost see the despair and defeat behind the mask of courage on the roo’s face.

The atmosphere was light, joeys played on the native soil, tumbling and bouncing. Seconds later fear rippled through the air, everyone saw it coming but they couldn’t stop it. Reptilian scales crawled through the long grass towards the scared kangaroo. I couldn’t breathe. A growl broke the lips of the kangaroo fighting as hard as she could but against the goanna it wasn’t hard enough. The battle was brutal and made my stomach turn upside down with disgust and yet I couldn’t look away. My teeth were clenched, unable to do anything. The deadly lizard fought with teeth and claws. Eyes wide with rage the goanna pounced one last time at the roo and brought her to the ground. Taking on last look at the ravaged kangaroo a stray joey ran, not looking back.

Emotionally and physically deprived, I slowly closed my eyes and felt some relaxation. A gentle wind blew over my tired body while kookaburras cackled at my pain. All I could hear was the nagging voice in my head. It was your fault. I could have done more; I could have stopped them. The golden sun slowly ducked under the horizon illuminating the sky with hues of yellow and red. Suddenly, even Walu was gone, I was alone. I should have saved Mama.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!