Raised By Wolves

Robyn moved swiftly and silently, jumping from branch to branch, the sun making the sky bleed a crimson red. Swinging from vine to vine, she spotted a cave in the distance. Grinning, she jumped down from the treetops and sprinted to the cave, blood rushing in her ears. She squirmed past the boulder blocking the entrance, her adrenaline fading, only to be faced with a frowning tundra wolf. The wolf shook her head at Robyn. Slipping on the collar of vines knotted together, installed with a microchip allowing her to speak, she sighed. “What have I told you about staying out too late? The hunters could’ve gotten you!” Dropping her emerald eyes to the floor, Robyn played nervously with a strand of loose ginger hair coming out of her waist-length plait. “I’m sorry,” she mumbled to the floor, and walked across the cave to her makeshift ‘bed’. She curled up into a ball, hugging her thin rags of clothing in a fruitless attempt to get rid of the cold. Knowing her attempts were in vain, she closed her eyes and welcomed sleep.
Robyn upon hearing whispering, she shot up in bed. When she opened her eyes, they lit up upon seeing her family gathered in a circle. “Happy Birthday Robby!” Chorused the family of wolves. She gasped. “Thank you guys, so much!” She squealed. Her older brother, Jay, pushed out a small, messily wrapped package. Beaming, she unwrapped it and she spotted a glimmer of gold. Picking it up, she examined it. It was a golden locket and it had a crystal engraving of a robin in a tree. She opened it up and there were two photos. One of her, swinging upside-down from a branch, as the rest of the family smiled at the camera. There was another photo, of two hunters, (She knew from the uniform) holding a baby. Confused, she looked around, before looking closer. She realised the female looked exactly like her, except her eyes were crystal blue. The male looked nothing like her; only the eyes were the same.
Dad told me, “We found it around your neck when we took you in as a baby.” I smiled sadly at them. “Excuse me for a minute... I need to take a walk.” Before anyone could say anything, I dashed out of the cave. I ran and ran, until I found my secret spot. I saw the back of two people. They seemed to be crying. That’s when I realised, hunters! Before I could run, they turned around and looked me in the eyes. Uh oh. There is no way I'm going with them! “Leave me alone!” Robyn screamed. Their looks darkened. “Listen up, young lady, you’re coming with us whether you like it or not!” Before Robyn could register what was happening, a tranquilizer dart shot from her parents' guns. They laughed. “Now you see what happens when you don’t listen to us!” Gasping, she collapsed on the floor before everything went black…
“I hate you…”

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!