We Aren't Really Strangers

Excellence Award in the 'The Write Note 2021' competition

“I don’t need you” the girl said to the boy, “yes you do, just wait and see” the boy replied. I will always remember that conversation, we were 5 years old. As time passed over the years I finally came to terms with you and I decided to reach out. Only problem was, I didn’t know you. Nobody did. As I remembered that memory of us I still couldn’t figure out who you were, or most importantly, who I was. The sad truth was, I did need you, but you left too early. Reality hit at 10 years old. I went back to the park we were at that day, there was nothing but a faded memory.

At 12 years old it was more than a memory, it was a puzzle. Trying to figure out where you went and why you cared so much at 5 years old. Through yearbooks of searching and class photos I finally found you. Nothing was familiar about you, except the shirt you wore. I didn’t care about your name, age or friends, that shirt was special. As I went back to school I never realized you were in my class. I never realized you were there. Acting like strangers everyday but, we’re not really strangers.

As I asked my classmates about you, no one seemed to know who you were. I asked my mum and she looked at me in a sad way. That next day I was taken out of school and to a hospital where they did tests on me. After four days of tests and questions they told me he didn’t exist. He was imaginary. The person I loved the most wasn’t real. But he was. The day after being released from the hospital my mum took me to a place. It was dark with stones coming out of the ground. She led me to a stone. There was a shirt on the ground. It was his shirt. It was his name. I look down on the grave and realise something. As tears fall down my face I say one last sentence before letting go, “I need you”.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!