Never


He sat on the windowsill as he always did in the afternoon, although today he seemed different, sadder. His eyes were dull and colourless, his smile never showed. He was like a lonely cloud in the sky.
Formerly this man smiled, all day every day, he would do gardening with his wife every morning and in the afternoon, they would bake and then sit in their chairs and read. One day however, they stopped.
His wife became ill, very ill. She never left her room and each week a doctor came over to check on her. Her husband never really recovered when they found her illness, he was heartbroken.

Laying in bed, face blank eyes looking at the roof. She wasn’t dead, but she may as well be. She hadn’t shown emotion for weeks, no joy, sadness, or love. The doctor said she would never feel emotion again, she would never love her husband.
She had been sick for so long she had forgotten what it really felt like to love someone. She’d forgotten the joy of waking up everyday to see him and what it felt like to love someone with every inch of your heart.

As the sun began to set the old man went to bed, he walked up the stairs, slowly, being as frail as he was. Walking into the bedroom he pulled his wife into an embrace, even though she didn’t care for it. To her it was just wrapping her arms around someone, whereas he still liked to imagine that she loved him and cherished every moment that they spent together just like he did.
Letting her go he held her shoulders, he had something to tell her. A saddened look was on his face, he raised his head and stated blatantly but still with emotion, “I believe my time on this Earth is almost over.”
A tear began to form in his eye, and it rolled down his cheek. All he wanted was one last hug, one kiss that meant something. Then his wife looked up, she began to tear up, the widest smile on her face. Her husband looked up, surprised by this sudden thunder of tears of joy, all the emotion at the most serious time.
“What is it?” he questioned. She wiped tears from her rosy cheeks as her crying ceased, although they could be seen welling up in her eyes.
She looked at him, blue eyes sparkling in the dim room, gulped down the rest of her tears and bellowed,
“I love you!” she cried once more, no smile appeared, however. “You can’t leave. Why do you have to go? You can’t leave me alone!” The man pulled her into another embrace and whispered solemnly in her ear.
“Don’t worry I never will.”

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!