I Miss Her

(1973)
Together we watched the sunset. Vivid lights lit up the sky, painting an astonishing view with all the colours you can imagine. There was one light. It stood out, positioned a little to the North of the horizon. It captured me in its gaze until the flicker threw me back into reality. The day was coming to an end. I stood, decorated her grave in flowers, almost as beautiful as her. I said goodbye for what I thought was the last time.
(Six years later)
I sit in almost silence, only the creaking of my rocking chair. I watch over our land. Howling winds off the mountains and whispers from the valley accompanying me on this lonesome day. I lift my right hand shrivelling with age, and delicately cradle my tea.
I turn my head to the left, see her spot on the chair, empty but still rocking. All the memories rush through my head, like a black and white movie in ten-times the speed. I’m in a trance and cannot escape. My head feels as if it’s going to implode. The tears rush down my aged face. I yell for help, but no one hears.
I miss her.
As the day progresses, I hold out hope. “Maybe, just maybe she will return,” I sigh. I plod along, feed the cattle, collect the eggs, harvest the corn, and round up the sheep. We used to do this for fun, but now it’s a chore. I’m all alone. I miss her. Each day I wake up, full of sorrow.
The days blend into one.
“Today might be different,” I say, full of hope. But what who am I kidding. It’ll be the same as tomorrow. Today, I do the same as usual. Feed the cattle, collect the eggs, harvest corn, and round up the sheep. But, today I’m sadder than yesterday. Today, she should’ve turned seventy-two. We should’ve been together eating cake having fun. But instead, I am traipsing around, sitting in sorrow.
Then, it hits me. What am I doing? This is not what she would have wanted. How could I let her down like this? I pick myself up and set off to the place we met where it all began.
Chester Village Markets.
I am floating on air. This is the best I’ve felt in years. I can feel her presence. I buy popcorn “for two” that we shared on our first date. I ride the purple polka dot carriage on the Ferri- wheel, just like we did in 1928. Still, I have a hole that needs filling. That’s when I saw her. The beautiful Golden retriever with a mane of fire. The wonderful creature is just what she had always wanted. It sits on the bench where we had our first kiss. With a sign that reads, “FREE”.
“Julia?” I whisper.
The dog runs to me, leaps into my arms.
“It really is you! I’ve missed you so much, Hunny.”

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!