Taking The Pitch

??Taking the Pitch??

Hands sweating, heart pumping. Everyone looking at you as take that step. With the feeling of butterfly's in your stomach, knowing that each step could possibly lead to fame and fortune with the crowd roaring like a lion. So let me take you on a journey back to when everything made sense.

“LILY!” Cried Kate, Lily's mother.
“COMING!” Replied Lily.
Lily was a sporty girl who loved trying out new games with her friends. Her parents... well that is a different story to tell so lets stay with this one.
“Your father said that you wanted to to play cricket, is that true?” Asked Kate Curiously.
“Yes.”Replied Lily with a Mammoth sigh.
“Well...” She continued.
“Your Father, Ronald has found a team that would love to meet you plus their team name is Golden Luck..”
“Well.”
“SIGN ME UP!!!!” Screeched Lily as she skipped up the stairs.

The following day Lily found out her new team Golden Luck. She couldn't be any more excited then what she already was, when Lily arrived she found out that she was in a boys team, the anger in her eyes followed by her eyebrows facing down to the ground, everyone could tell she was mad, but even though they won all the games, like that time when every person in the team scored 6's on every bowl, Lily still wanted to have an all girls team. Her parents convinced her to stay longer till the season finished, because her parents thought it would take her forever to find a team.

Later Lily made loads of flyers, posters and even sent emails out around her school. Loads of people came to try out for the team, some boys came but she told them that she was looking for an all girls team, some of the boys stormed off some stayed and watched to help Lily choose. But eventually by herself she chose nine students to play. They all got taught the rules of cricket at the training pitch. Lily told them all the secrets of cricket.

Later Lily told her parents about the team she made that day. All nine girls parents had to speak to Lily's parents. They told her that the team can play but if some-one got hurt or could not come then you cant ask another person you have to live with it.

Her parents jinxed it, because Olivia broke her wrist the following day so she could not play. But Lily pulled her a-game. With more games to come her and her team made a promise to stay as one.

Years had passed, Lily was now eighteen yet her team was performing all over the world. Until one day, Kate Lily's Mother got a letter from the Australia cricket team. They asked if she wanted to join, she went mental. Then it led to that day, Lily's first cricket game representing Australia. Her cricket mates came to cheer Lily on. It became the last over, and Lily was bowling, thats when her hands were sweating, her heart pumping. The commentators kept speaking. Words flowing through her, butterfly's flying through her stomach. She bowls. The crowd goes wild, commentators yell into there mikes “SHE'S BOWLED HER OUT AND AUSTRALIA WINS!!” Minutes later the medals started getting handed out, Lily was so excited, fore she never owned a medal, she would cherish this moment forever.

"But Grandmama, how do you know this?" Interrupted a Curious Child named Elizabeth.
"Because Lily was the best friend I ever had?" Replies the Grandmama, “I was Olivia.” “And now you need to go to bed.”
“Ok.” “Night Grandmama.” Replies the Curious child. “But one more question.”
“Ok.”
“Were is Lily?”
“Enjoying life, and passing on secrets of cricket.”
“I wish I was lucky like that.”
“Hahaha, ok time for bed now. Night.”
“Night.”




FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!