The Flame

"It’s lovely to see you again, it’s terribly sad we will have to say goodbye soon."
"Yes dear, but we never say goodbye for long, do we?"
"But still, I always feel extremely sad at every goodbye."
"Well, every goodbye just means another hello."
"I suppose it does. Will we meet at the same spot, next time?"
"Of course dear, I wonder what it will be next."
As you both danced through the halls, you hear a rumble, signalling the end of your time.
"One last kiss, my love?"
"Of course, dear. Goodbye kisses are always beautiful."
"I suppose they are."
The music lifts up, surrounding you and your partner, you kiss, hoping to see your partner again.
"I will miss you, you're the best thing that has ever happened to me."
"As are you, seeing each other again will be delightful."
As the walls slowly start to crumble and the fire starts to roar, you feel your wings start to disintegrate, your partners doing the same. You start to tear up.
It wasn’t because your wings burning was painful, it’s just sad. You knew that your time was close to ending, and the fire never going out along with the walls falling was not helping the feeling of dread.
"Goodbye, my love."
"Goodbye, dear."
"See you again soon."
"See you soon."
As the flames engulfed you, your wings fully gone, you and your partner held hands, looking at the sunset. The music slowly died out, and your vision became more blurry. Signifying you were done. Everything turned black.
You woke up in a strange place, with only a record player and a few records. You immediately recognised all the names, and you remembered where you were meant to be.
Flying over the new towns, you found an apple tree. Under the apple tree was them. You always knew them, even in your new form.
You floated down.
"Hello, my love."
"Greetings, dear."
"It certainly has been a while."
"It certainly has."
"It’s lovely to see you again."
"Likewise."
"Have you brought the music?"
"Of course!"
You played the music, your partner and you grabbing each other by the hands, chatting about how you were.
You danced for all eternity, until the flames came again and the cycle started anew.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!