Warriors

The war raged on around her, but Nell focused on the man in front of her. They both breathed heavily, blood dripping on the ground from their wounds. Still, they swung at each other with force, the clang of metal on metal only adding to the roar of battle.
Nell got past the soldier's defences and struck him down, quick to move onto the next enemy soldier. After knocking that one down, she turned to face another two, their white uniforms stained red.
One smirked, clearly underestimating her.
She swung at him, cutting off his head. The body slumped to the ground, followed by the head.
The second man attacked from behind. Nell ducked, and thrust her sword into his stomach. He fell to the ground, and she hesitated.
That single second cost her, as she was grabbed by rough hands, sword yanked from her grasp. The men dragged her through the battlefield, managing to keep hold of her, despite her thrashing.
The men tied her hands behind her back and threw her onto a horse, giving no chance for escape.
They rode for what seemed like an hour, although it was hard to judge, and finally came to a stop in front of a gold palace.
Nell was picked up roughly by a large pair of hands, and thrown over the persons shoulder. She was carted into the massive throne room, to await audience with the ruler.
There was already four other allied soldiers there, and Nell was thrown down next to them.
Three of them she recognised; Mika, Dante, and Easton. They were famous throughout the army for their swordplay. Nell nodded at them as she rose to her knees.
The fourth, a man she didn't know, knelt at the foot of the prince.
Before she could register what happened, the man's head rolled onto the floor, and his body followed with a thud.
Nell bowed her head in respect, wishing him a safe trip to the afterlife, where he would be trialed for Elysium, place of the heroes. He would get a proper burial after the war, as would the other fallen warriors.
The prince called for Nell to come forward.
"Good luck," Mika whispered. The triplets bowed their heads in respect.
Nell stood defiantly in front of the prince, who glared down at her.
"State your name, age, and weapon of choice." He sneered.
"Penelope Fiori, Sparta. Sixteen. Sword." Nell smirked at him. "Why? You going to fight me, pretty boy?"
He hissed. "I am Kai Lyons, Prince of Rome. How dare you speak to me like that!" He motioned towards a girl on his right. "Evie. Two swords."
Evie handed a sword to Nell, giving the other to Kai.
He stepped off the dais and readied his sword.
Nell moved first, swinging at Kai. He blocked it, and they attacked each other, back and forwards. Nell feinted, managing to cut Kai's leg and he went down.
Nell pointed her sword at his neck.
"I win."

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!