Ollie's Purpose

“One, two, three, breathe, one, two, three breathe.” I’m in the middle of the pool. The edge of the pool is speeding closer to me like a race car.
“Yes! Second place.” In three days, I will go to Tokyo. I’m Ollie, by the way, an everyday sport lover who lives to swim. My neighbours think I am the fittest person in the world.
The day before the championships has arrived. I hop out of bed sliding on my singlet and doing my daily stretches. Upward dog, downward dog, arms, legs, burpees, then star jumps. Running out of the gate, l start to organise my breath. In, in. Out, out. Waving to the few cars driving past I feel my heart pulsate in my chest. Then it happened. The thing that changed my life...
When I awake, I am lying on the ground, people standing around me and the distant sound of sirens screeching through the air. The strange sensation of being lifted onto a bed and into an ambulance. I am sitting up with intense chest pains, being told that I have been unconscious. I enter a room and feel dreamy.
I am standing on a diving block at the Tokyo Olympics listening for the starter pistol. BANG! I dive in and start swimming. I feel the cool water flow across my face not wanting to be anywhere else. The adrenaline is pumping through my veins as the edge comes closer. As soon as I hit the edge, I feel a floating sensation and it is all gone.
I wake up, not knowing where I am. Three doctors are staring down at me. They tell me I was put in a coma for two months.
"It was a dream?" Dumbstruck, I slowly nod my head. They say that I have a serious heart defect and I won’t be able to play anymore sport. I lie frozen in devastation.
A lady with a trolley gives me a card.
“This was sent to you by the sports association.”
I mysteriously open it and read it aloud.
“Dear Ollie, We are very sorry to hear about your condition. We would like to offer you a position as head coach of junior swimming. If you would like to, please let us know ASAP. From Sports Australia.”
I look at the nurse and she glances up in thought, examining the board indicating my heart rate. She fortunately gives a nod while saying, “In a few weeks.”
I decide to take the job and start studying how to be a swimming coach. Three weeks later, I hop out of bed and head towards the doors. It feels great to walk out for the last time.
I start my new job and it is love at first sight. Pride grows inside me as I see the excitement when children beat their best times. I thought I would miss swimming myself, but my new passion is helping other people achieve their dreams.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!