Fever Dream

My brand new, fuffy blanket wraps around me, as I fall asleep into a deep slumber. Everything feeling right.

I wake up in a field of dried up grass. My mouth dry. I feel as though I been here before. My cousin's house. But it was different. Everything green is dead and everything new is old. I cautiously stand and walk over to the rickety and rusting house. I see my 'cousins' staring at me. I feel a sense of dread and quickly turn away.
"Maddie."
I hear their voices call out to me. I hesitantly turn around and try not to make eye contact.
"Want to play? Maybe we could go for a swim?"
I look over at the pool, glistening in the scorching sun.
"But I could have sworn it was just filthy-"
"Of course not." Their synchronise voices send shivers down my spine. I glance at their faces and almost scream. Their eyes are pitch black. They grin, their smiles taking up half their faces.

I turn away, ready to run, but a little girl stands in my way. Only five or six. Her silky, black hair flows around her shoulders.
Her dark green eyes staring into mine. I could trust her.
"Follow me" her emotionless face stares at me. She spins around in one robotic motion. I follow her. We walk past the, yet again, disgusting pool. Giant black spiders crawling in and out of the sharp rocks around the pool.
"Where are we going?" I whisper.
She merely shushes me.
Everything seemed to go fuzzy as we entered a field of knee-high, dry grass. The sound of a metal cage door rattles in my ears.
I try to stumble forward. The young girl seems unaffected by this weird force. She kneels and starts patting? Something like a bunny? My head spins. Everything seems so unclear. For a split-second, I blackout.

I open my eyes and see an underground tunnel in front of me.
"Go." The girl's voice suddenly turns to an urgent whisper "Now."

I don't have much of a choice. It's the only way. I turn to thank the girl but she's already gone. I step forward and take a deep breath, the smell of blood and rust is overwhelming. In front of me is a tunnel, it has dimly lit lanterns along the wall, I can barely make out my surroundings. The carpet is old and worn, it's a muddy red with a yellow pattern along the edges. There are several doors along the hall. Each room is filled with a different horror. The first room I walk past is a bathroom; a bloody, filthy, bathroom. I start to run. Something runs across my feet, tripping me over. I crash to the floor, hitting my head. Im in pain. Everything goes fuzzy again, I slowly and gradually close my eyes.

I wake up with a start in a cold sweat. Nothing feels right.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!