Bad Teeth



“I’m not going, you can’t make me,”
James groaned in a tone of annoyance. His mother tried to calm him down while simultaneously focusing on the road ahead.
James abhorred the dentists.

I am- I was… I don’t know,” he finally breathed, looking down at his hands that were fumbling around the hem of his shirt.
After a pause, his mother spoke, “I understand, honey. You’re scared. I get it. There are some things in life that are frightening. When I was your age I was absolutely terrified when my mother drove me to the dentist,” she chuckled a little at the end. “But sometimes, you have to do things you don’t necessarily want to. You have to take a leap.
His mother made a quick turn and, in a hurry, they were at the dentist.
Don’t chicken out now. You’re strong.
She unbuckled her seatbelt and James followed suit.
“You’ve got this big boy,” she high-fived him as they walked through the clear glass automatic doors, hand in hand.
Okay, it’s happening, he thought.
They were walking to the front desk and with each step, James became more confident.
“Hi there! Have you booked an appointment with us today?”
Asked the receptionist

“Yes, a quick check-up for James Laurent,” his mother replied.

“Ah, yes. James has an appointment booked with Doctor Snotgrass and he is next in line so just take a seat and you’ll be called in shortly,” Sandy robotically stated, pointing towards an array of soft-cushioned seats.

A tall man wearing a mask and a doctor’s white coat filled the doorframe, reading from a board placed close to his face.
“That’s us,” James’ mother cheerfully to him
James gulped, “I’m good thank you,” he whispered.
The dentist turned around and pointed to the seat in front of him.
“That’s great to hear. Come up and sit here, today we’re just going to be doing a quick clean-up and you’ll be out of here in a jiffy!” he beamed.
James smiled.
“Alright, we’ll start now,” were the last words James heard Doctor Snotgrass utter before he closed his eyes and focused on his pulsing heartbeat.
Your teeth are all very clean, so you should make sure you continue eating well. That way you get to come here less,” he whispered.
Taking off the mask, Doctor Snotgrass grabbed a hand-held skull and pointed to the teeth.
“When you brush your teeth, make sure to brush in circular motions and don’t forget to brush the inside of your teeth as well as your gums…”

But James wasn’t really listening, he was focusing on something else.

A mixture of brown and yellow, chipped front left tooth and crooked bottom row was all James could see. One tooth at the top near the corner of the mouth was missing and gums red like blood. The dentist’s own teeth.

The man who just fixed James’ teeth…had the worst teeth James has ever seen in his whole life.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!