The Flood

Confusion swept through her body as she let out a startled bark. Lottie had woken up to muffled chattering. At that moment a stream of golden sunlight shone through the lid of the chest. The puppy trembled in fright, as she took in the sight before her. Five large fairies were looking at her as if she had fallen off the moon. ‘Perhaps they are a family,’ she thought, suddenly overwhelmed by the longing to be with her own people again.

Less than 24 hours ago, the devastating Australian floods had whisked Lottie away from her home. While trying her hardest to stay afloat, Lottie grabbed onto an old, shaggy treasure chest and climbed inside, unsuspecting that it would trap her within its four walls. After she accepted her fate, Lottie had fallen into a blissful slumber. Now she had no idea where she was.

They looked at her for a few moments, then one of them cleared her throat. “Bark if you understand!”
Dispite the circumstances, she barked. The first fairy turned back around to her group, “It can’t speak, only bark. Matilda, summon the Happy Dust.” She commanded.
While Matilda furiously rubbed her hands together, probably trying to materialise some dust, one of the smaller fairies spoke up, “Teacher, what is that thing anyway?” She giggled.
The teacher fixed her with a stern look and told her that Lottie was a dog.
“Oh,” said the child. “Well, what shall we name it?”
The teacher sighed, “The dog most likely has a name and after we sprinkle the fairy dust, it will tell us.” The others nodded excitedly, agreeing. “And how is the Happy Dust coming along Matilda?”

Matilda blushed furiously and looked down at her hands that had still produced nothing. “It’s not working, I’m sorry.”
The teacher looked agitated but managed to compose herself as she looked over at Lottie who was still quietly sitting on the ground, soaking in the surroundings. The large fairy snapped her fingers and there it was, a small bottle of golden dust.

“Close your eyes.” Commanded the leader.
Obediently, Lottie shut her eyes. She felt the magical potion fall all over her and she tried to suppress a laugh because dogs don’t laugh. Then it dawned on her that this dust was giving her human-like characteristics. She started to laugh, a deep, rumbley laugh that shook her whole body.

The fairies smiled, happy that Lottie could now talk to them. “Tell us, where did you come from?” They asked gently.
Lottie tested out her voice and soon confidently started talking, thanking them before anything else. They listened sympathetically, nodding and commentating along the way. When she was done, the fairies huddled in a corner and eventually came to the conclusion that Matilda could give her a lift home.

Later that day, Lottie was dropped out of the sky and she headed inside through the puppy door, hoping to see her new friends again one day.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!