Band Audition

I was practicing the piano so I could join the band that was going to play at the Good Friday service. It’s a fundraiser to raise money for children with leukaemia, so they could afford the hefty price needed to supply medication. Soon, I was approached by May. She’s the biggest spoilt brat that ever existed. She’s more annoying than that one itch on your back that you can’t reach. ‘What do you want?’ I asked, while giving the coldest death stare I could muster. ‘I heard you’re trying out for band practice. Just so you know, I’m the one that’s going to get that role.’ she replied, smirking. I snickered, ‘Yeah you play really well, unless you aren’t deaf.’ She then stormed off. ‘That’s a first.’ I muttered. She usually keeps arguing until I fall asleep from boredom. Then, suddenly, May burst back through the doors, carrying her own piano. ‘Watch me,’ she spat, ‘I can play better than you.’ she turned it on. She tried playing it, but she kept playing the wrong notes. It sounded as if a cat that’s having a seizure was stuffed down the throat of a horse, ‘See? I told you.’ May said. I rolled my eyes and smirked before going back to practicing. She then pulled the plug to my piano. ‘Hey! What’s that for?’ ‘See you at band audition, nerd!’ she added before she bolted out the door. I walked to the cord and plugged it back in.
As I prepared backstage for the audition, May walked up to me, again. ‘I’m going to crush you. Prepare to lose nerd.’ she spat at me. I shrugged and got up on stage. My friends (who also played instruments) were sitting next to the judges. They waved to me with the biggest smiles on their faces. They were in the band. I waved back, trying to keep my excitement for my friends under control. The judge nodded to me, signalling that they were ready. I started to play the music they’d sent us to practice. There were the easier pieces, such as Hot Cross Buns, and the harder ones, these ones didn’t have names. When I’d finished performing, the judges and my friends applauded. I left the stage and sat near my friends. ‘Nice job man.’ my friend Niu complimented. He played the guitar, and he’s an ace at it. ‘Yeah, we’re going to crush the performance!’ my Japanese friend Takashi exclaimed. He’s a drummer. Then May went up on stage. The judges nodded to her, and she began to play. She was flawless! How could this be? I started getting sweaty palms from the anxiety that overcame me. The head judge’s gaze floated to the cord, he then noticed that it wasn’t plugged. ‘May, you’re disqualified for cheating.’ he stated. Her eyes started to water as they scolded her, and then she ran out.
Needless to say, I was chosen to join the band. The performance on Friday raised a thousand dollars. And the best part? May never bugged me again.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!