Paper Planes

Vrooooom! “Another car!” Mason watches it zoom past like an agile lightning bolt. “Stupid coronavirus lockdown. I need someone to talk to!”

Mason lives in a small, run-down cottage. Despite starting well, all of Mason's hopes for year four feel like a heavy bulldozer has flattened them all. Although Mason shares his tiny home with his mother, she is always busy with hospital shifts, leaving him home alone.

They live next to a nursing home, which is only metres from Mason’s desk. As soon as he hears the front door bang and his mum’s footsteps fade, he gazes curiously at the brick building. He stares deeply at its dark windows, a cauldron of questions bubbling inside his head. He often wonders if they have a buffet. The thing that puzzles him the most though, is what actually happens behind those thick layers of mulberry glass.

Eventually, a glorious idea sprouted from his brain. “What if I could talk to whoever lives in there?” But how was he supposed to do that? “A drone?” he wondered. “No, I don’t have one,” he mumbled miserably. “I know! Paper planes!” Mason thought excitedly. The next day, once his mother sped out the front door, Mason scribbled a note.

“Dear whoever receives this,

My name’s Mason. I’m in grade 4 and live next door to you. I feel lonely. Please reply.”

He carefully folded the note into a plane and taking aim, threw it with all his might out the window. It zoomed perfectly through the gap beneath the opened glass on the other side. Now he would wait.

When he found the plane wedged underneath his window, he excitedly unfolded it.

“Hello Mason. My name’s Linda. I’m 85 years old. We could be pen pals!”

The next few weeks, Linda and Mason shared many things. Linda had competed in Olympic swimming and Mason loves playing soccer. As weeks passed, Mason noticed Linda’s letters were getting messier and shorter. Mason wasn’t sure what was happening, but kept sending notes.

One chilly morning, Mason leapt out of bed and raced into the living room to retrieve the plane. There was no note. He searched the dusty floor, but couldn’t find anything. He even peered outside to see whether it hadn’t arrived properly.

Mason felt his stomach sink. He didn’t know why the letter hadn’t arrived but it felt bad. He tried to visit Linda, but wasn’t allowed. He sent a final plane desperately hoping for a reply.

Many weeks passed, then a knock on the door brought sad news. His friend had passed, but they’d found his planes and wanted to thank him for helping Linda find joy in her final days

Lockdown was now over. He still felt the passing of his friend, but wasn’t upset because someday, he would get to see her again. He’d learnt that, ‘even when the world is dark, there will be someone around to support you. You just have to look.’

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!