A Dark Day



The heat rose out of the soil, seeping into the atmosphere as the sun cast its fierce rays on the desolate landscape. The farm was cracked and wrinkled. The crops were weak and withered. Dad was in town gambling with merchants. Mum, Ruston and I sat on the couch listening to the radio.

Suddenly, thunder exploded. Mom ran outside to rescue the animals and brought Ruston along to herd the cows. She galloped inside with Ruston to the bathroom, where I kept silent. I could smell the rain coming from all sides. The pummeled on the roof and the house trembled. Thunder continued roaring. The violent wind came swept our sheep away.

“I wonder what would happen to the dry sheets outside,”Mom cried over the terrifying sounds. The thunder stopped. “what would happen next?” I asked concerned. There was no reply. “Mom,” I called. “YE-,”she answered. Thunderous rain silenced her. My heart pounded and my throat tightened, and somehow Mum managed to keep us safe.

The rain and wind eased. Soon I could only hear the pit-pat, pit-pat from the old, tattered roof. The sheep were gone forever and the house was a mess. Tomorrow, the grass would grow again. We’d have to clean up tomorrow.

I didn’t know if it was better to have rain or drought.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!