Yes To A Horse!

“Why not?” I argued.
“Because they’re too much work!” mum screamed out.
“Well we have no space in the house.” mum replied.
“I can keep it outside!” I kept arguing.
It just went on and on, which felt like a lifetime.
“Come on mum” I wanted to still have the last say.
“I said NOOOOOOO!!!” mum yelled.
“No is No. No is now, tomorrow and in the future,” that’s mum’s favourite saying.
I would even beg her on the toilet and she said NO every time. I hated her. She always says No. Come on you wouldn't like her in your house either, she's like a vacuum that sucks away your dreams.
Mum says we cannot have a horse because we have nowhere to keep it and it costs too much money. We also have to clean up lots of poo and it stinks.
I always wonder, why do we have to keep Dad if we have to clean up after him. What’s the difference between him and a horse, I find myself thinking about this all the time.
But the answer was still No. I tried everything but nothing seemed to work. I feel hopeless but still think we should trade Dad in for a horse. Don't tell him I said that!
A few weeks later it was my birthday. I was so excited to open my presents but I still wanted a horse and knew that none of the gifts were big enough to look like a wrapped up horse, so my dreams were squashed like a grape.
I opened mum's present last because I knew it wouldn’t be fun. I was right, it was just a piece of paper. Mum pushed me to look closer and to my surprise, it was horse riding lessons!
My first few lessons were dreadful because there were other older girls who had more experience in riding than me but I got the hang of it. I caught up with the other girls in my group and the other’s were surprised how quickly I learned how to ride.
When I ride, it feels magical. My hair glides through the wind it is so amazing how my horse and I can connect so quickly. I feel like I can talk to him and he understands. With just a bit of love anything can happen.
Now I am fearless of my enemy coming against me and my horse. My mum is my enemy but also my friend as we will always have a fight but no matter what she always loves me and wants to do the best for me.
I feel so happy riding horses and nothing will tear me apart. I have to thank my mum as she gave me my first opportunity. After riding for more than a year, I am a pro-horse rider but I’ve come to realise that mum still won’t let me keep a horse at home and we still have to keep dad after all.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!