Last Life

The courtroom was full when Azaelea was dragged into it. The architecture was dark and imposing but it didn’t strike any emotion within her. Her gaze locked with the prince. His detached eyes held hers before he looked away. Nobody was here for her. Azalea was shoved to the ground by the guards at her back and her head was forced upwards towards the king.
“Azaelea you have been found guilty of supporting magic users, can you give us one good reason why we shouldn’t execute you.” The king's gaze was unrelenting, the once kind eyes portraying a harshness exclusively saved for those like her. Azaelea stayed silent. Pressure was added to her shoulders as she was forced lower into the ground, pain rioting through her skin.
“I’ll only repeat myself once, give us one good reason why we shouldn’t execute you” The king's tone held barely restrained anger at the magic user.
“Very well then. Bring her in” He gestured towards two guards and they opened the doors, dragging in a screaming girl. Her blonde hair was matted and dirty and she had tears streaming down her face.
“Please don’t hurt her! Please!” Azaleas blood ran cold. The girl was screaming for her.
“Please don’t hurt her!” her wails echoed around the room, penetrating the silence.
Azaleas determined eyes locked with the king.
“I’ll give you one good reason why you shouldn’t kill me if you let her go.” The king narrowed his eyes for a minute before he gestured towards the guards and they let the girl go.
“Blossom, I need you to go and get my book for me, can you do that?” The scared girl nodded, dashing out of the courtroom.
“A book is going to save you from dying?” This time it was the prince who spoke up, ice lacing his tone. Azaelea looked towards him, his eyes dark and shining with hate, his posture stiff. She let hopelessness seep into her gaze.
“No. It isn’t” she whispered.
The doors to the courtroom swung open again and Blossom ran in with a heavy book cradled in her arms. She ran to the older girl and dropped the book in front of her before scurrying away.
Azalea tried to move her arms but grunted, the pressure on her shoulders providing limited movement.
“I need to be able to open this book.”
“And why can’t someone else do it?” Phoenix asked dubiously.
“It has to be me.” For some reason no one argued with her statement and Azaelea could feel the weight being removed from her shoulders. She stared at the book, it’s plain cover deceiving to the eye. She couldn’t bring herself to move.
“Well, we don’t have all day, how can this book prove your innocence?”
“She said it doesn’t”
“What do you mea-” The king’s sentence was cut short as Azaelea flipped open the book, pulled a dagger out and plunged it straight through her heart.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!