Darkness

Darkness swirled around me, taunting me. It trapped me in a black liquefied box, which grew smaller and smaller by each second. I couldn’t see or move anymore. I could only stand. The only thing that kept me standing was a white dot within reach. Only that one ray of light was like a flash of lightning that lit up the world. Gathering every ounce of energy in my mind I focused only on that one dot. My only hope.
It had been a week since it happened. Since the darkness took over. It was gradually oozing into me, controlling me. All it took was one kid to bring in the darkness. That kid who had merciless eyes that pierced my skin. A distant memory suddenly snatched me away.
I could see the scene when it started with pellucidity. A tall figure with styled auburn hair and piercing hazel eyes walked towards me, cornering me at the back of a vandalised building. I remember feeling like I was on a endless roller-coaster and I couldn’t get out, no matter how hard I tried. He suddenly lunged forwards, forcing me to fall against the wall with a shot of pain bursting through my ankle. I whimpered while clutching my agonising foot.
***
I was not the brightest kid. I was often by myself playing video games or with my soccer ball. Mom encouraged me to go play with the other kids, but I couldn’t. Not after what happened.
When I was eight, I had a neighbour who was the best friend anyone could have wanted. We always played together or hanged out with other kids. I didn’t want anything to change, but I couldn’t stop it. It became my downfall. I remember his droopy wave as he waved goodbye. With one final hug he was chugged off into the outside world. I could feel the blackness mixed with red and grey spiral towards me.
After a few years since that happened, the kid came. He brought along the blackness and It was unbearable. Each thing he said pierced through me with a black arrow. I could feel myself slowly decaying like an old building. No matter how much I ran, I couldn’t find an exit. I couldn’t stop it. The blackness had seeped through. Nothing could be done. Then she came.
Only one classmate ever noticed me. She was a kind person who was always surrounded by people. She was the only person to ever talk to me. She noticed the aroma of blackness around me and emitted lightness to help me.
I will not fall, no matter how hard he tries, I will stand. I will stand until I’m strong enough to tower over the darkness. As I focused on that tiny white dot, the liquified darkness started to gently ripple, patches of black started to turn into shades to grey, then white. It felt as if the rock had been lifted above me. Bullying really does go a long way.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!