I Saw Something

The deep howl of wolves echoed in the inky black room.
The bed let out a scream as Amanda cautiously stepped onto the dusty floor.
Each step she took a faint creak was heard as she limply stumbled to the window.
The wind blew through her hair as she swept aside the velvety curtains.
Glancing out the window, she noticed a figure walking along the street. It wasn’t a human, but it wasn’t an animal. Was it a monster? She didn’t know.
Her eye started twitching continuously, her body started shaking like never before. The sound of a rapid heartbeat echoed in her ears.
The figure began to slowly turn around, until it was facing her window, its eyes fixed on her. The light of the stars bounced off the lake’s clean water sending light flying towards her. Blinding her. She grasped the curtains and swept them closed. The same question swirling around in her head ‘Was it a monster?’.



The deafening sound of the school bell rang as she scuttled out the bus.
Her group of friends are waiting for her at the gate like every other morning.
‘You look like you’ve just seen a ghost’ Jane curiously muttered. ‘You alright?’ Ava said, raising an eyebrow. Amanda gulped. ‘I saw something last night’ she mumbled. ‘Not human. Not an animal’ She mumbled lowering her voice. ‘What time did you see it?’
Jane asked. ‘I dunno. It seemed like Witching hour’ She gulped. ‘Maybe we cou-’ Ava was interrupted by Ms. Stone’s booming voice. ‘Girls! Do you see anyone else out here by the gate?’ She yelled. ‘No.’ Jane muttered. ‘Well, where do you think they all are?’ She boomed her cold breath blowing into Amanda’s face as she leaned over glaring at them strictly. She pushed them towards the door and sternly said ‘In there. Now, off you go!’



‘Goodbye Amanda!’ said Miss. Brooke. Amanda gave her a soft smile and made her way through the busy chatter of children. She caught a glimpse of a red head girl standing in the crowd rummaging through her bag. ‘Ava!’ She cried. The freckled face of the girl looked up at her alertly. ‘What were you going to say before, when Ms. Stone interrupted?’ Amanda spoke quickly and urgently. ‘Oh! I was going to say maybe we could all go to your house and Jane could wait outside and get a better look at the thing, since she is the brave one.’ Ava suggested. ‘Sounds good’ Amanda said, straightening her posture and hurried to tell Jane the plan.

‘Now what?’ Amanda asked, shivering in her creased pyjamas.
‘Now, we wait’ said Ava softly opening the velvety curtains and peering into the blackness of the Waverley St at night. Ava gasped. ‘Jane!’ She started screaming.
‘What is it?’ Amanda asked cautiously. Ava didn’t answer. ‘Jane!’ she yelled.
She turned to Amanda. ‘We’re doomed.’

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!