War

Excellence Award in the 'The Write Note 2021' competition

Crack! Crack! The crackling of gunfire exploded in my ears. I dove for cover, hoping to escape the deadly bullets. A huge, sharp pain blossomed up in my hip, too late.
My name is Arthur, I am 19 and have been shipped off to fight in the first world war. I come from Tasmania, Australia and I enlisted against my parent’s orders. Now, back to the story.
I looked down at the wound in my leg. It was red and puffy, and blood was oozing down my knee. I turned and begun to limp off towards the Australian camp. I heard the screams of dying soldiers all around me, feebly trying to call for help. Then, suddenly, a huge black horse cantered out of the mist and came to a stop beside me. An enemy soldier pointed his pistol down at me, the barrel directed at my head. I gulped.
“Get down!” The soldier bellowed.
I lay down on the ground, holding my hands above my head. The wound in my hip screamed in protest. I felt the cold touch of a pistol against the back of my head. The soldier knelt down beside me, so close I could feel his hot breath against my neck. Bang! All of a sudden, there was no hard touch on my head. There was no more of his hot breath on my neck. Slowly and carefully, I stood up and turned around. There was the enemy soldier down at me feet, lying motionless and not breathing. I looked around. Far in the distance, I saw a sharpshooter, clad in red, which was Australia’s colour. I saw him nod once at me, then he turned and walked away.
I staggered back to my camp, with my hurt hip causing me to walk with quite a jerky, unnatural motion. Soon, I reached the camp and was greeted by two distressed and worried nurses. I hobbled over to them, my sight fading rapidly. The last thing I heard before I blacked out was one of the nurses say, “I think this one might have to go home.”
A few days later, I woke up. I found myself back home, in my town’s hospital. I looked around. There, standing near me with a worried look on both their faces, were my parents. “Well, I’m back.” I said.
The End

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!