The Flight

the automatic doors, with polished metal, hinge opened up as I entered a whole new world, it was like a factory for flying machines but more amazing. ‘Intercom’ “The terminal D4 will be closing after the 8 PM flight” I hastily checked the notice board as I scanned carefully down the neon lights glowing brilliantly like a light show. I found my flight, blox airlines.

I followed my mum’s lead across the polished stone floor listening to the distinct rumbling of my suitcase and the intercom voice. Glancing anxiously out the giant glass windows, I saw a plane take off into the blue blanket only just making out the silhouette of the workers. I carefully joined the line with my mother thinking about the delicious meal I was going to be served after waiting for the line to move. At last, we arrived at the check-in, my mum sorted through the suitcases as I kept my trusty red and black backpack on my aching shoulders.

Watching my suitcase, fraternising with the other suitcases, leave my sight on the black conveyer belt with an occasional trench so it could bend.

My mum hurried off to the noodles shop taking big long strides as I had to jog to catch up but only with my backpack on me. I had entered heaven, no spirits could disturb me, this was simply the best place, the distinct odour filtered through my nose as I inhaled it in. Taking a seat on a chair, next to the window, watching curiously at the planes. I glanced at my metal watch, 8:45 PM, “when is our flight mum?” I asked, “10 PM” “but that’s really late in the night,” I said with exhaustion suddenly realising how tired I was after putting my bag aside. My mum went to the counter, swiped her credit card and carried two delicious bowls of ramen noodles.

I suddenly realised how hungry I was, “Be careful, it’s hot.” my mother warned as I ate my noodles gratefully watching the worked men below me refuelling the tank on the plane. After refuelling myself from the scrumptious meal, I realised it was 9:15.

I and my mum weaved through the crowd cautious not to trip, finally came to sit down on the anti-stain leather seats they had for us while waiting for our flight. I looked at the neon blue sign saying B3.

*intercom” passengers wishing to board a plane on B3 can go now” “let’s go,” my mum told me, I nodded as I hurried to the woman standing behind a wooden stand in blue and white uniform. My mum showed her something which I tried to look at but failed.

We went on the passenger bridge and looked for our seat, when I sat down on the luxury plush leather seat with a small game controller and TV in front, I waited excitedly as the seats around me started to fill up.

My mum took out the headphones from the seat pocket and watch some kind of movie as the plane started to take off. I thought about the long drive when we arrived at the airport, there was a lot of parking space I thought to myself quietly and non-consciously grabbed the controller and turned on the screen.

I felt this was memorable because everything just feels familiar and I still wonder how everything in the airport work, I might as well also be a security person working in in the airport so I can understand how everything works. Still dazzled by everything, I relaxed into my plush red velvety seating while resting my head as i had nothing to worry about.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!