Volcano

The moment everyone had been dreading for decades had finally arrived: The volcano, had erupted. Scolding rivers of golden death flowed down the steep mountain while clouds of ash and smoke engulfed everything. Thunder crashed and streaks of silvery lightening lit up the evening sky. Chaos reigned and the beast that had been sleeping for years, that had now awoken, releasing its fury upon the world. It was natures turn to take its revenge.

My little village had thought we were ready for years; spending every hour of every day revising escape plans and double checking our evacuation packs but it was only now, the moment we had been preparing for, that we realised nothing could prepare us for this. Everyone was in panic mode, plans were immediately forgotten and people running franticly in attempt to locate their families. But I was ready. When Mother Nature finally did lash out on us, I knew what to do. Following the evacuation plan, I led everyone in the village to the boats on the edge of our little island.

By the time all the boats had left the docks mine was well away from the little island. I took one last glance at my home, but something caught my eye, a tiny figure jumping up and down and waving frantically. I couldn’t figure out who it was so I did a quick head count of everyone in the boats. 1, 2, 3… eventually I counted all of us, but we were one person short. I squinted at the person jumping up and down on the island, which was almost flooded with lava. Dark brown hair, blue, no, green eyes, and fair skin. That’s when I realised. There was only one person in the village who’s description matched that one. There was no doubt about it, I had just left my best friend on the island.

No, I couldn’t have. The one person who always looked after me, the person who I promised I’d look after her as long as I lived, I had let her down. I crumbled to my knees in a sobbing heap. People around me attempted to console me, but nothing could, it was too late.

Then the next few moments were a blur, panic and distress controlled my body. I clambered out of the boat and into the scolding hot water and swam as fast as I could to my friend on the island. Blisters burned into my skin, but I pressed on determined to reach her. Finally my feet his solid ground and I ran to her, despite the overwhelming heat the lava flow. I didn’t care that I would die today, at least I wouldn’t have to live with killing my best friend. She turned to me her face drenched in tears, “you came back for me” she whispered in disbelief. “Always” I told her. We sat on the edge of the island, watching as the rest of the village made their way to sea.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!