Safe House

In the afternoon glow of the trees cast deadly shadows across the ground, reaching as if wanting to trap me in their darkness. I look despreatly for a way out of this hell but see none. Tears well in my eyes and I breakout into a run, branches tearing at my clothes. "Please someone, help!' But my cries are swallowed by the defining silence. Stopping I gasp for breath but it evades me, panic attack? I try and concentrate on getting air into my lungs and soon my breathing returns to normal. As I look around I notice that the afternoon sun has started to set. "No, don't leave me in the dark. Please." My voice comes out as a croak and I want to cry but no tears will come. I slump to the ground, all energy gone. If death wishes to have me then let him come, I will fight no more. I do not know how long I stayed there, it could have been hours, days or even years. Maybe if close my eyes the darkness will swallow me, once a fear now becomes a wish. A wish to escape this pain of being alone where no one will help me. Before I get the chance a voice as soft as the wind calls out to me, lifting my head I look around but I spot nothing. Playing it off as my imagination I close my eyes, "here, come here where it's safe." My eyes snap open and I stand, glancing at the trees that have become my prison. "Don't worry just follow the sound of my voice," not thinking twice I do as they say. I walk deeper and deeper into the forest until my legs start to hurt. "Is this a trap?' No one answers, as I'm contemplating whether I should turn around or not I spot something in the distance. I speed up until I'm almost running and out of breath when I reach the little cabin, "yes, Thank you!" Relief so powerful it feels like I'm drowning washes over me and I almost collapse. Stumbling forward I try the door and it swings open without any resistance. Inside is a small room with a single chair in the middle and a dull light bulb sways from the ceiling. Walking I move only a couple steps when I hear the Door shut and an audible click which signals that I've been locked in. As much as that should have scared me it doesn't, instead I feel a strange sort of security. I continue walking to the chair and sit down, as I do chains wrap around my ankles and wrist binding me in place. "Don't panic, your safe and no one can hurt you." I smile at the thought of not being hurt anymore, this is all I ever I wanted. A safe house.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!