Dance Of My Lifetime.

This was the grand finale, and the winners would be dubbed International House Duet 2021. I’d been dancing since I was 5. Now I’m 22 and finally getting my chance to compete in the biggest duet competition ever.

At the start I’d been paired with this taller guy, of course he was taller, I’m only 5’2 so naturally most are taller than me. He’d been extremely stand-offish until one night we’d had a heart-to-heart and I’d learnt why. He’d loved to dance but his father was rather disapproving and forced him to quit for several years to study business. I understood well, in school my mum made me study medicine and smart stuff, ‘as a backup.’ she’d always say to me ‘doctors pay well.’

Alas I found myself falling for him, even after everything one unholy man put me through, it was high time I moved on anyway. I briefly glanced at Daniel waiting beside me. His costume, it made him look stunning, his muscles defined by the tight-fitted garment.

“Ready M’lady?” He took his position behind me, his attire dazzling in the stage light.
“Ready as I’ll ever be.” Assuming my starting position.

Our duet was going seamlessly, we moved in picture-perfect sync until, gazing out from the audience, his eyes met mine from the front row. Watching the way I moved on stage. I was startled by his attendance, I tripped up, falling to my knees right smack in the middle of the stage. The audience gasped, going still, but my mind could only hear his low chuckle. By the time Daniel had seen me and moved around turning my tumble into a new part of the routine but it was too late. I just couldn’t shake the humiliation after that; I flunked the biggest competition of my life.

“You’ve got this.”

Well, no I don’t ‘got this’. My mind was racing with questions, why did he have to show up? How did he know I was performing here? Was it all just to throw me off?

After the performance I ran straight into my dressing room, I knew my friends and family would’ve seen that disaster and I just couldn’t bear to face them. Especially not Daniel.

I wasn’t sure how long I was hiding before they called us all out to announce the winners.
…Third place Italy…
…Second Place Japan…
“And the International House Duet of 2021 is……. France!”

We lucked out because I’d tripped up after seeing him. We’d lost because of me; I’d ruined all chances of becoming a big-shot star not just for myself but Daniel too. As soon as I hit the wings, I just wanted to run but he grasped my hand.
“I know how good you are, and people trip up sometimes, and maybe this is fates way of saying the world isn’t ready for Amanda Hidgecraft just yet. But tell you what, with that degree you’re studying, you’ll be the best darn doctor this side of Minnesota.”

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!