Voice In The Storm

Storm-clouds gathered all around him like a pack of wolves surrounding their prey. The tormenting threat of thunder echoed through the night air, as streaks of silvery lightning illuminated the darkness. The storm was far away, for now, but it still filled his heart with fear. A soft melody erupts over the clap of thunder. He feels sick. His eyes droop. He slowly falls into a deep slumber.

A beam of light glares onto his face. Thick yellow phlegm spurts out of his cracked lips. Gasping for fresh air he noticed cobalt blue eyes staring at him. Startled, he jumps on to his feet. ‘Who, who are you? Where am I? Show yourself?’ He stammers.
‘ You were right Sana. Delicious.’ Sings a sweet voice.
‘What? What’s delicious? Me? Who is Sana? Who are you? Heeeelp!’ He shrieks.
Voices murmur behind a small shrub.
‘ He is too skinny.’ A sweet but stern voice whispers.
‘I am skinny so beat it’ he yells. 'Anyway, why do you care if I’m skinny?'
‘He’s perfect.’ A voice that sounded like lily petals in the breeze.
‘Thank you?’ he wondered.
He realized where he was.
‘Bohol, this is Bohol. I used to come here as a kid.’ He squealed in delight. ‘How did I get here? Who are you?’

The leaves rustled and out came five elegant women. Their caramel brown skin draped with pearls and silk garments. Their wavy brown hair accessorized with gems and shells.
‘Hello Libre.’ A lady with a turquoise dress sang.
‘Um hi, how do you know my name? Libre asked.
'We have known you for a very long time,' a tall, lean lady mischievously said. The woman broke into a conversation. It sounded like baby birds of paradise singing.

Bewildered Libre looks back at the ocean. Bits of wood and tires float over the clear water. The last possession of his family. The low distant rumble of thunder circles the island as though a barrier was surrounding the island. A few minutes ago he was out in that murderous storm on his fathers' handmade dinghy escaping from the sickness that killed his entire family. Lost into the abys of thought he felt the urge to go into the water. He started to wade into the ocean.

Not until he is chest deep into the water the women realize he left. They jump into the water, their clothes disappear. Jagged teal scales grow over their body. Sirens. Libre’s father used to read to him about them. Their sweet voice lured sailors and men into the ocean and they never returned. But how do they know Libres’ name? The sirens grabbed at his feet, scales scratched and tore his skin.

With urgency, Libre kicked his feet away from their grasp. In the storm the monsters did not follow him any longer. A faint light peered through the gloom. A boat. A warm friendly grin peaked behind the sailors ombré beard. The sirens were gone and he was safe.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!