Yellow-Orange Lily Ponds

The trees were gesturing wave-like goodbyes to Mugi who sat nearby. He proceeded to gaze at them intriguingly uninterested in his surroundings. He continued to ponder the anger he had felt when he argued with his brother that morning. It was a simple silly mistake and his brother knew very well that it was a battle both unwinnable on either side. It was that pointless. Mugi felt that their relationship was starting to deteriorate. He was his parent and companion. Best friend and soulmate. He decided to go home that afternoon and initiate a sincere apology for what happened. But upon getting there, all that was left were yellow-orange lily ponds. No brother, no furniture, clothes or traces of what he called home. His brother was the wanderer type when he felt overwhelmed with situations. In a frenzied rush, he called his brother’s phone but there was no answer. He rummaged through what was left of their apartment and he found a note. “Yellow-orange lily ponds, beautiful aren’t they? I’m sorry for what happened this morning,” it said. Mugi didn’t know what else to do but instead to call the police and ask for help. Seven days past, and brother was not found. Where could he be? Why would he leave? He came back to the very bench he sat at the park he visited. However, the very first thing he noticed was a pathway that led deep into the forest park. That pathway was led by a sequence of yellow-orange lily ponds. His body started to unconsciously run towards the path and it led him to a big tree. It had yet another little note written “This is the place I enjoy my time most Mugi. I hoped that within the couple of days you didn’t see me you’d be led here.” There was still no brother and a bright light started to blind his eyes. He woke up from the noise of brother cooking breakfast in the kitchen. Brother never left as he had initially thought.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!