You can do it



Beau was a mediocre soccer player who played for the swifts. He usually only got to play when the team was a long way in front because he lacked skill and coordination. His mother continuously told him he would improve with practice. One day, he had to walk through an alleyway on his way home from soccer. Suddenly, a hooded figure approached him. This figure wore a long, black coat with a large hood that covered their face. The person produced a pair of soccer boots that began to shimmer in the dark. Beau took the soccer boots from the figure and hurried out of the alleyway and to the front door of his house. He knocked on the door and just as his fist tapped the door for the second time; his mother opened it and pulled him inside due to the cold weather.
“Hi, how was training?” Beau’s mother said.
“Good, mum” Beau replied whilst running up the stairs to his bedroom.
He turned on his light and observed the boots. He tried them on and felt the amazing power run straight from the boots into his legs. Beau then went outside and began kicking the ball, much to his mother’s discontent. The ball stayed at his feet for the whole time he played. Beau shovelled down his dinner at lightning speed, packed his school bag and jumped into bed at 8:15. That night Beau dreamt about the soccer boots and how he would act at soccer training the next day.

Beep, beep. Beau’s alarm woke him up. He had set his alarm to go off 20 minutes earlier so that he could get to school early and show his mates his boots. Beau arrived at school to the groans and moans of his friends.
“Aww I want a pair of those” stated Noah, the team’s goalkeeper.
Soccer practice came and Beau’s theory was proven; the boots did make him play better. The improvement was so great that the coach of the team asked Beau if he would like to be the new captain of the team.

The season was coming to a close and Beau was in a spot of bother. The boots he had been wearing were now too small and he had no other boots to wear. He decided to visit the alleyway again. Beau saw the same figure he had encountered previously at the alleyway.
“Excuse me but I’ve got a question for you. Would you possibly have another pair of boots? The other ones are too small”.

At this moment the figure removed its hood. To Beau’s amazement the person behind the hood was …his mother.
“Beau” she said
“It was me who gave you the boots. They weren’t magic; it was just your talent that allowed you to play like that.”
“But why did you do it?” Beau replied.
“I did it because I believe you can do anything you put your mind to and in this case I believe you can play soccer like you’ve been playing the last few months” replied Beau’s mother.

That was the story of Beau, who is now a great soccer player who plays a full game every week.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!