Barry's breakthrough

BARRY’S BREAKTHROUGH
Once upon a time their lived a boy named Barry. Barry was a short kid who always wanted to live up to his dreams of playing in a rugby league grand final. Barry lived with his Mum, Dad and an older sister who loved drama. Barry and the family live in a beautiful mansion, which you could say is like a big hotel but not with as many rooms.

“Clean your room Barry” demanded Barry’s mum angrily. Barry wasn’t treated with any respect and still didn’t complain but that doesn’t mean he liked it. He is a straight A student and is still asked to get tutoring five days a week, so he has no free time to do things like kick the footy out in the park or play a bit of play station.

Barry absolutely loves rugby league and goes for the Thrashing Tigers who are having an absolute cracker of a season. Later that day Barry’s sister handed Barry a Tiger’s flag. Her sister wasn’t allowed to have it so she gave it to Barry, but as soon as mum went to clean Barry’s room it was straight in the garbage. Barry wasn’t too impressed.

One day when Barry was on a family picnic to celebrate his sister’s birthday, he couldn’t believe his idol Billy Bob Brown was at the same venue as him. Billy Bob Brown is a famous tigers player. Barry got up with his cousin and started to kick the ball around when Billy accidentally kicked the ball widely straight into the area in which Billy Bob Brown was kicking his ball with his teammates. BOOM! Billy Bob thumped the ball straight into the garden! It was a shocker.
“That’s not how you kick,” said Billy
BOOM! Into the air and straight down into the basketball hoop, the one he was aiming for.
“Gee that’s a great boot you got their Billy,” said Billy Bob
“Why, thanks” replied Billy
“You’re my hero, said Billy”
(Billy Bob laughed)
“How about you two come over and play a game of touch with us” asked Billy Bob
“Gee we’d love to Mr. Brown.” Replied Billy and his cousin excitedly.
So while Billy was playing a friendly game of touch, his mum got worried so she went for a strol in and around those long, green trees. After twenty minutes she told herself that there was another side of the park were she hadn’t looked already, so she headed in the other direction where a mini game of touch was being played.
As soon as she saw two little boys playing she rushed over to get them. But then she stopped and realized that how she had never seen her son Billy smile the way he did and she pictured how he was having fun with one of his idols and how he had always dreamed of meeting him. Billy’s mum went over and said. “How come you never asked me to play?”
“Because you would have said no” replied Billy smartly
“Well you look very happy playing touch so we will work something out.”
“Gee thanks mum” replied Billy thankfully
Well, Billy set off to play again- and the dream started.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!