The Flood

A deafening splash resonated in my ears. I jolted wildly with surprise, dropped my video game controller, and dashed to the door so rapidly that I slammed into it with a loud ‘BANG!’ I rubbed my head as I steadied myself, moaning with pain. I noticed that the windows on each side of the door were nearly fulled up to the brim with water. Was I imagining this? However, when I peered further from the window, I could see the faint outlines of vehicles from the grey, debris-filled, swirling water trying by every means to drive off. Nevertheless, the tsunami stood as solid as a brick wall, keeping the vehicles where they were, even pushing them backwards. I gaped in disbelief. People shrieked and screamed loudly with fright, and I could almost imagine them huddled tightly in their vehicles, awaiting death.

A minute later, the clouds connected and became a dull grey, and rain began to pour heavily, gradually increasing the level of the swirling water. It had turned a murky grey, somewhere around the colour of a fully-used rubber. How could this be happening? Am I dreaming…? I thought, disbelievingly. No, it is real. I have to face it. I told my mind flatly. My parents were on business trips in Ecuador and Romania, leaving me at home for a week by myself. What will Mum and Dad say? What if the front garden is demolished? I questioned myself. My head clouded with questions and thoughts.

Swiftly, I checked that all the doors and windows were closed. “Phew!” I sighed, but that moment, I noticed water was seeping in between the floor and the front door. I ran and seized a towel, and neatly placed it between the door and the floor to temporarily stem the flowing water. I heard the sounds of alarms coming from nearby buildings, and blocked my ears with my hands. I took several deep breaths. The sound of the rain stopped, although I ran to my room, and in an attempt to protect myself, I slid myself under my bed, hitting its frame in my panic. I could hear someone screaming but could barely make out the words. I leaned forward and merely heard, “…CAREFUL! THEY’RE COMING, JUST WAIT!” a man yelled. What was coming? I questioned myself. In the distance, sirens sounded and I gradually filtered up with hope.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!