Volcano Escape!


The sky turned black as the volcano spat out ash, and smoke! I ran for my life when suddenly the ground started vibrating, I heard a voice from a distance. “Maria, Maria!” It was my younger sister shaking me like a rag doll, trying to wake me up from my terrible dream. You see, we live right next to an active volcano, Mt. Vesuvius, which can be extremely dangerous, but because my parents are farmers they prefer it here. The soil is better and moist! We have recently heard that this Volcano could be ready to erupt any day, so my parents are trying to escape. Today we are going to go on a little road trip (Evacuate) to Monopoli, to get as far away from the volcano as possible. We are already 2 hours into the ride, and I am dying of thirst and borderm in the back, whilst my parents are singing traditional Italian songs. I then steal my mamma’s drink bottle and take a little sip, AHHH nice fresh water! I decided to have a little snooze as I am EXHAUSTED! When I wake up, I see a giant sign:

WELCOME TO THE CITY OF BARI

YAY! That means we are close! Only 30 mins to go! Once we arrive at our new house, I look out at the sea and just take in the beautiful sight. As we walk into our new house, it feels like we are on a holiday. I race my sister upstairs to my new room and my mouth drops open as I have the most AMAZING view!! “ I’m having this room!” I called out. I go downstairs to help mamma and papa bring in some boxes when something catches my eye in the sky, Black clouds begin to move in. I checked the weather app to see that there is no warning for rain, But these clouds are midnight black. My heart stops! It's Mt Vesuvius!!! “MAMMA, PAPA!! I thought we were safe here!”. I scream out to my parents “Girls don’t worry, it's just a little smoke from the volcano, It's travelling through Italy, nothing to worry about!” I am still very nervous, I cannot see the blue sky anymore. I started to really explore the house to get my mind off the smoke. The black blanket that was covering the sky is now fading away!!!! I look out in the distance and see it travelling far far away! I’m glad we moved, I say to Mamma, Papa and Rosa.


FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!