King Henry V

24 October 1415
Dear Diary,

It's 1415 and we were under attack for the first time this week and the situation is dire. The Battle of Agincourt had arrived. With my gun in my hand and a sheathed sword on my belt, I'm ready to fend for my country, even if it costs my life.

The people expected me to send out our finest warriors to battle, it was a perilous decision as many lives will be lost. This morning I touched the stained-glass picture of my father Henry IV, and felt his presence enter me. I begged him to tell me how to win this war. I also prayed to my God for strength and guidance. I begged for grace for my dear England.

Then it dawned on me, If I - King Henry V - am to send thousands of my men into battle, what is stopping me from joining them?

25 October 1415
Dear diary,

Today I met and talked with the Lords, Knights and serfs before the battle - what a talk that was! It warmed my heart to see how many men were willing to fight for our country, the brave soldiers were all armed ready to go, all they needed now was the order from their King.

When I stepped onto a frail wooden stage that creaked under the weight of my boots, I threw my speech notes down, this one was completely from the heart. I knew that they deserve my respect and the respect of our whole country as many would not return home. I reminded them to keep the faces of their family and loved ones in the forefront of their mind. They were so melancholy… but could I blame them? Some of the men were so young - not yet old enough to have a wife or child.

I knew I must lift my men before the battle. I urged them to be willing to fight for our country and assured them I would be there beside them. I too would walk the battleground alongside them. I believe they took comfort knowing we were entering the battlefield together.

I noticed the faces of the Knights started to lift, and from that moment I knew, with God as our protector, we had a fighting chance in this war.

If there was a time in my life that I felt most proud - this, was it. Cheers erupted from the crowd, not one single man present seemed afraid to enter battle even though it meant sacrificing their life for their country. Shouts of “For King and Country” echoed across the field and echoed in my heart.

I left the frail wooden stage and took myself to sleep in the camp knowing I had done everything in my power to achieve the best possible outcome in this war.

Tomorrow we will fight. Tonight, I sleep with a heavy heart and one eye open. God, be our strength and constant companion.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!