A Crown Too Heavy

The English literary giant Shakespeare famously wrote in Henry IV Part 2 “heavy lies the crown”. It’s an idiom that has come to resonate remarkably well beyond the distant period of 16th century Europe, and unfortunately in doing so has become a term painfully relevant to my current situation. Both literally and figuratively. The crown upon my head is heavy and uncomfortable, locked solidly onto my skull like a magnet to iron. I can only imagine the distaste kings in Shakespeare’s era had towards wearing it, but then again who am I to say. Universal power and admiration are pretty good perks if the only downside is having to wear a hunk of metal from time to time. In my case, universal power and admiration have always been foreign concepts, and when I go on stage in a few minutes I have serious doubts there’ll be an exponential rise in admiration and awe coming my way. Speaking of which here comes the living manifestation of cowardice and narcissism. Powerful words I know, but not without warrant. “Hey, idiot listen to me right now!” I slowly rose my head at the aforementioned individual stomping towards me, waiting for him to elaborate on that thought. “If you screw this up for me you’re done. I haven’t refined my skills as an artist for some mindless twit like you to undermine my performance.” I grinned at his quasi-threat. “I wouldn’t dare to jeopardise someone as talented as you Peter. I’m sure you’ll have a successful career ahead of you appearing in supermarket advertisements. Hell if you’re real lucky you might end up teaching drama at a primary school, 12-week holidays does sound good you know.” Peter sneered and began to clear his criminally insufferable nasally voice, ironic for a guy that fancied himself the next Hugh Jackman. “The jokes on you buddy. My uncle just scored me the main role in a-” Immediately it hit me like an epiphany, Peter’s equally insufferable uncle would be in the audience tonight. Like a revelation from God, I instantly conjured up a plan to put a wrecking ball to Peter’s ego and in the process eliminate any possibility of him getting that role. As the 500 spectators watched the plays climax I got on one knee beneath the lights and waited for Peter to pull the crown off my head. He tried pulling it off but to no avail, once, twice even a 3rd time but it wouldn’t budge an inch. The audience began to erupt with whispers and an atmosphere of awkward sympathy flooded the room. Couldn’t this guy pick up a fake crown? I glanced into the audience to see Peter’s uncle getting up to leave the theatre. For a split second, a wave of ecstatic joy rushed over me. Unfortunately, this was horribly misplaced. In a fit of rage, Peter ripped the crown off my head with my hair going with it. I had become a severely embarrassed bald king.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!