Oh, How We Dreamt Of Monsters At Midnight.

“It’s a very beautiful moon.” I commented to Kiku, trying to break the ice between the two of us.

The moon was blooming at its fullest, outshining the millions of stars, marking the time for the mid-autumn festival. I don’t celebrate, but I placed lanterns tonight to commemorate the occasion anyway.

“...Very.” Kiku acknowledged, as we looked above us. The clearness of the sky was a rare sight, as the tall trees and clouds normally obscured the view.

Thump.

Both of us turned our heads to the direction of the sound. It had been quite loud, resembling the snap of a twig. Was it an animal, perhaps? Or worse, a Monster-

Kiku tensed, unsettled by fear.

“...Look Kiku, rabbits are making medicine on the moon!” I blurted out, hoping to defuse the tension. I pointed out the dark spots that blemished the moon’s face, and how it resembled a rabbit pounding herbs that gave immortality - a legend I had heard long ago.

Its story possibly masked the true origins of the Monsters that hunted humanity down. The loud thumps, which inspired the myth, came from dangerous, mysterious beings who wandered around endlessly to eat humans for eternity until they died. Not by time’s wearing effect - they are ageless - but by the blade of a human slicing their heart.

That’s how I survived in the forest, after all. And the reason why Kiku and I met in the first place.

“You saved me!” Kiku had yelled breathlessly, all that running he did to outrun the Monster had obviously tired him. It was dusk, a few hours earlier, when I saw Kiku’s figure in the distance yelling for help.

Kiku’s attention was drawn to the lanterns I had set up before; those lights had luckily led him here to his rescue. He looked at me in awe and relief, not in fear - even when I was holding a blood-stained sword and a dead corpse of a Monster behind me.

“Are you an angel?” Kiku asked, leaning to my side as he drifted in and out of consciousness.

I had quietly scoffed. Me? An angel, no. They do not spill blood on the battlefield, or live a cowardly life alone.

We now sat under the stars and lanterns, cleansed and reflecting on these past events. Kiku’s brown eyes reflected the warm light illuminated from the moon, child-like wonder expressed by a soft “Amazing”. Our surroundings became an almost fairytale filled with twinkling lights - yet the image is ruined by the presence of Monsters.

I was no angel, I had made regrets that weighed on my heart and mistakes I could never take back. But Kiku was still so young; I’ll be the white knight stained in red, just to ensure that Kiku stays free and unburdened.

“I think the rabbits are pounding mochi.” Kiku mumbled, now relaxed; snapping me out of my thoughts.

...A rabbit pounding mochi on the moon? I chuckled, while Kiku started to smile; both of us forgetting our troubles.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!