Voice - Use It When It Matters The Most

A voice. It is what everyone deserves to have no matter who they are, where they come from or how they look. One letter, word or phrase can change our view on something and make us think in a different way. An individual voice is vital. We use our voice everyday for communicating, sharing ideas, socialising and for many other reasons but the idea of having a 'voice' goes much deeper. It gives an individual power - by using it in the right way we can make an impact on many lives. It is important to accept and use your voice for the things you really believe in.

Martin Luther King once said, "Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about the things that really matter." This does not mean that people who are quiet all the time will die. Personally, this inspirational quote is packed with a lot of meaning. It represents that if you don't use your voice for something that you think is wrong or what you believe in then there is no point in your life, as you are not doing something that can make an impact on many lives. YOU need to start the chain.YOU need to be the one to stand up. YOU need to be the voice not the echo!

Sharon M Draper's novel "Out of my mind" shows the importance of communication and voice, following the journey of a girl, Melody, who cannot speak. She has faced many struggles and no one can understand her but once she gets 'something' it changes her life forever. She can talk, communicate, share everything and the voice which was once hidden has awoken.

Voice is interwoven with everything. It is the base of one's personality, it is the glue that holds a conversation together and is most importantly something that needs to be heard and understood. A voice is a human right. It matters!
...
I was starting a new year. My heart was palpitating like it was running a race and my hands were sweating. I was nervous.

I sat down in a chair and took a tonne of books off my shoulders. The seat next to me was empty, I normally sat alone as I wasn't very good at socialising but something unexpected happened. A girl walked into the class and sat next to me! I didn't even know who she was. We didn't talk for the whole time and the awkward tension was broken by the bell for recess ringing.

I went outside and headed towards the library. On my way I saw the same girl but sitting alone. She looked so happy in class and when I saw her face right now a blanket of regret covered me. A group of girls were walking up to her, they started to mock how she had no friends and began laughing. I knew this was not right.

I was too scared to use my voice but as they continued fury built up inside of me and suddenly it cracked. I couldn't stand it anymore. I went up to a teacher and told her what was happening. She went up to them and put the whole conversation to an end. From the corner of my eye I caught a glimpse of the girl smiling at me. I smiled back. I had used my voice to make a positive impact on someone else's life. I felt great, a wave of serenity and peace waved over me.

"It only takes one voice at the right pitch, to start an avalanche." Be that one voice!

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!