A Close Call

A Close Call
The wall of deep blue advanced upon Bruno. It gained height until it was towering way above him. Bruno readied himself. The beast bent over as if to try and grasp Bruno. Immediately it released and broke right behind Bruno and his board. The boy could feel the spray that it projected. He quickly stood up on the board. He was skidding diagonally across the wave’s face. The wave closed in on Bruno and the light at the end of the tunnel crept further and further away. “Oh no!” shouted Bruno. “It’s gonna collapse!” Bruno’s words acted like a magic, and he was swept up as the water crashed down onto him.
As he struggled to orient himself in the rush of water, he noticed a dark shadow lurking in the gloom. He spotted the shadow again, this time bigger. The wave had passed, and Bruno dashed to the surface. He took in a breath of the fresh salty beach air. “That was close.” He thought, beginning to regret surfing in such a large swell. Bruno clambered onto his board and breathed heavily.
Something brushed Bruno’s foot. It felt smooth, streamlined and suddenly Bruno felt his pulse increase dramatically. A surfer’s worst nightmare had just arrived. “Shark!” he thought trying to rack up any ideas that would save himself. In the end, nothing came to mind, he would just have to get himself out of there in one piece. The shark was twice as long as Bruno and about ten times stronger than him. It swam up close to Bruno to check him out. This type of meat was not part of the shark’s natural diet, but it would do, this shark was too hungry to even try and resist. It launched itself at Bruno. The boy jolted. He was just quick enough to take his legs out of the water. Bruno started paddling vigorously, he did not want to be breakfast. “He called out to his friends Sam and Jay. “Help!” he yelled raising his hands for the lifeguards to see. Sam paddled over to his companion and Jay fetched help. The shark pursued eagerly, thinking of finally having something to eat. “May as well kiss life goodbye.” Said Bruno to himself.
“Punch the shark!” yelled Sam at the top of his lungs as he paddled next to where Bruno was stranded. Bruno could not do it. The fear he experienced made it near impossible to process any thoughts. A jet-ski hopped along the water next to where Bruno and Sam were trying to fend against the shark. “Climb aboard.” said the lifeguard, helping the pair to safety. Sam and Bruno got aboard the jet-ski.
“Thank you, guys.” Said a relieved but weirdly excited Bruno. He had never ridden a jet-ski before. He saw Jay wave out on the shoreline. Bruno waved back with a smile of relief.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!