The Power Of The Crests

A shadowy figure slowly approaches Lila. In the deserted park that wilts joyous souls, people go there to think about the horrid sights that keep them up at night, that make people cry themselves to sleep. The shadowy figure in the distance is not a mere speck anymore. The figure seemed to be a short old lady, as dainty and nourishing as a perfect rose. The aroma of mystery and wisdom bouncing off the figure. Lila, on the other hand, tall, blonde, stiff, not stress-free like the woman. The aroma of flowers and tears bouncing off her.

“Help, help” the figure croaks. Scared, Lila takes a step back, nearly stumbling. In the past, helping others had gave her a life of dishonour and deceit. The figure speaks again. “Please help me, take this lantern. Great danger is coming. They want the contents of this lantern. You’re my only hope.” As the woman uttered that last word, she disappeared into the mist and fog of a mysterious hue. Her tattered walking stick and the lantern lay dead still on the damp concrete.

Lila picked up the lantern in her frigid hands and brought it up to her ears only to be met by wailing. A deep urge to open the lantern brought to her by fate overwhelms Lila. She sticks her nail in the handle and opens the lantern door.

A blinding light shined out of the lantern. Crawling out of the lantern, an infant. The first thing you might notice about this baby is the crest of a sun engraved on his right hand. A few wispy hairs sat on top of his head, curled up. His deep blue eyes staring at Lila like a crashing ocean. You might think the sun crest was unusual. Lila felt a deep repugnance for it. On Lilas left hand, a moon. A moon crest.

Another figure appears in the distance. Ten more figures following it. The petite child scurries behind Lila and grips onto her, nails so sharp Lila feels an immense pain. She didn’t cry, nor scream, she was too frozen by fear. The figures, were Roman Knights.

“WHERE IS THE CHILD” The first knight screamed out. “WE HAVE SLAUGHTERED THE WOMAN THAT GAVE YOU THE BABY” The knights pointed their sharp swords at Lila. Lila started speaking. Mumbling at times. “I have the child. Take it. I’m already involved in enough trouble.” With that, she grabbed the baby’s sun crest hand with her moon crest hand. Suddenly, Lilas blonde hair stood up as they both started floating. Looking down, the knights turned to ashes. She starts floating down with the child as she looked into the dreary sky to see the woman. The woman smirked and faded away.

As the years passed, Lila raised the child as her own. Any foes that came in their way were vanquished by the crests. Lila wishes the woman’s life did not have to be taken, but everything in life has a purpose for being.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!