Opposites

It’s so cold, honestly why would I agree to this? I look up at Alkina, my best friend, pulling me up the mountain. I’m not a huge fan of the cold, or night, I don’t like the rain either. Yet here I am, in all those elements.

“We’re here!” I look at Alkina, she’s smiling. She looks so happy, standing on the edge of a cliff face. The moon shines brightly behind her, the cold rain sprinkling down.
“Ataru, look.” She points her finger out to the horizon. Turning my head slowly I wonder how I was lucky enough to have a friend like Alkina.
“Woah…” the view from up here is breathtaking. I can see our whole world. My village is far in the distance, but right below us Alkina’s village is alive.

The mountains encasing our home reach up towards the sky. I see the lake where I first met Alkina at. The treehouse we made years ago. Feeling my face warm up I remember when I promised Alkina I would protect her forever. I stare straight at the huge wall that separates our villages. Although it tries it’s hardest, it can hardly keep Alkina and I apart. Differences make a person after all, what’s it matter that some of us love the night, and others love the sun?

“Hey Alkina, what if we jumped?” She spins around, looking like I’d asked the impossible.
“Are you crazy?! We can’t fly, that is impossible!” It’s like she read my mind.
“No, it’s not! We can do magic right? So what’s the difference?” Of course we can fly, well I’ve never tried it. But I can’t just not try it!

I hold Alkina’s hands in my own.
“Remember when I promised to protect you forever?” She looks surprised by this. Did she think I forgot?
“Of course I remember that!”
“Right, well I’m getting drenched from the rain. I’m sure it would be faster to fly down.” There’s no way I’m giving this up. If we can’t do this, we’ll never escape the prison we live in. Alkina still looks uncertain, so I’ll guess I’ll make the decision.
“Ok, ready?” She nods and grips my hand tighter.
“3… 2… 1… go!” I run towards the edge, pulling Alkina with me. Almost there… now! I jump, having no idea whether this will work. The rush of air hits me full in the face. I look up to see Alkina laughing. I start laughing too and soon we both forget what we have done. Having fun is the most important after all. The ground is growing ever so close but I think we’ll be alright.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!