Oceania Saves The Day

“It is time to go to the shops Oceania, my favourite octopus!” calls her mum.
“Coming,” replies Oceania as she swims happily out to the jet boat.
When they arrive at the supermarket, they buy seaweed. “Mum, can we get my favourite lunch, pretty please?” begs Oceania.
“Okay,” concedes her mum. “Do you want lobster or shrimp?”
“Lobster please!” says Oceania gratefully.
Her mother reaches for a plastic bag. “Wait, here is a reusable bag,” calls Oceania. She pulls the mesh bag from her backpack and passes it to her mum.
“Oh yes, we don’t want this awful plastic in our ocean. Good thinking Oceania,” replies her mum.
“Mummy, why do creatures use plastic?”
“We have used plastic for a long time and it has become a habit without realising the damage it does to our ocean,” explains her mother.
The next morning Oceania’s best friend Shelby comes over. “Hello Oceania! What shall we do today?” asks Shelby.
“Let’s go for a swim,” replies Oceania.
While they are swimming, Oceania stares at the sight ahead. A great deal of litter floats past her. She looks through the litter to see a little turtle trapped in plastic. “Oh no, we need to help!”
“Shelby is that you?” says a voice.
“Pearl!!”
Shelby’s sister was trapped in the plastic.
They pull and push but they couldn’t get her free.
“I have an idea!! Shelby I’m going to put Pearl on your back then we can get your mum,” explains Oceania.
“Let’s go,” shouts Shelby.
When they arrive at Shelby and Pearl’s home, there sitting at the shell table are their mothers. They are drinking saltwater cordial and chatting. When they see Pearl on Shelby’s back, they are shocked.
An hour later they finally set Pearl free.
Oceania and Shelby make their way to Shelby’s warm, comforting sea-room. “What can we do so creatures stop using plastic?” asks Shelby.
“We can limit the amount of plastic creatures use.” says Oceania.
Later that day they get Oceania’s mum to take them to the shops. “Thanks Mum,” says Oceania.
“That’s ok, I will be in the shellfish area if you need me.”
When they reach Customer Service, they tell the shark behind the counter they need to talk to the shop owner.
He swims them to his boss Mr Ray. Oceania and Shelby talk to Mr Ray about their idea. He thinks it is an amazing way to help the ocean.
“How did it go?” asks Mrs Octo.
“Awesome! We can return tomorrow to remove the plastic bags. We are replacing all the bags with seaweed bags. We are reducing the amount of plastic being used that could hurt our ocean,” says Oceania. “It only takes a little bit of action to make a big impact. If everyone helps, the ocean will be safer for all of us.”
Over the next few weeks Oceania organises volunteers to clean up the ocean. They have made a difference in their oceanhood.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!