Serenity

I whistle in attempt to anger the Gods; my tune haunts the air around me. The wind becomes more aggressive, less peaceful. It tries to warn me, but all I hear is a melodic harmony between us. My song plays across the waves propelling itself into the sky above. Soaring amongst the iridescent clouds. The music bounces off Serenity’s dark brown coat, she creaks in annoyance. My ship and I soar the sea with years of memories and pain. It has been just me and her for countless days, not another soul to be seen.
I’ve forgotten human touch, although sometimes I mistake it for the sharp, cold sea water slashing my skin. Days turn into weeks and weeks turn into a bitter reminder I am to die. I’ll die on Serenity. She was my first ever home and she’ll be my last. She will be my grave. While lying on her floor I glance up at the clear blue sky only for my eyes to be cut by an intense beam of light. Sitting up I glimpse at the sea, it taunts me. Surrounding me is the thing I need and yet I cannot have it. Water.
A single tear leaves my eyes, I catch it on a fingertip. Licking it off I think “Every last drop counts.” My tanned skin wrinkles in the sun rays and my auburn hair bleaches into a crisp blonde colour. After what seems to be hours lying beneath the blazing sun, the sky turned from an innocent baby blue to a dangerous navy. Bright light escapes the heavens and comes crashing down around Serenity and I. Flickering in the wind and driving me forward dances Serenity’s sail. I latch my hands onto the downhaul and grab the rudder. My body flings off of Serenity. As quickly as my song started, it ended. Suddenly and all at once.
In this place I can no longer whistle... Transparent water hugs my skin. Air escapes my lips and bubbles twist and turn above me. I reach out, my arms flailing as I try to grab the delicate bubbles. "Every last bit counts." They reach the top, leaving me here completely alone. Abandoning me. I let myself drift down into the depths. Releasing any anger, resentment and regret that fill my head and heart in these final moments. Allowing myself to become free. Air becomes limited and my mind rushed to Serenity. At least she will not be tainted with my stench of death. She can find a new home above while I am forced to find one in the sand and seaweed below.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!