Underwater

My body fought for every last bit of air, as it thrashed against the invisible prison, I saw the exit but no longer had the strength to survive. I felt as though the air was being sucked out from my body, cold water filled my lungs and blood pounded behind my bleeding eyes. Numbness encompassed me as I hammered the door- but for all I knew I was dragging myself further down into the abyss.
6am
The alarm blared but I was already awake. I was often awake before it rang, for it has become a daily routine, waking up before the nightmare could resolve. The never-ending terror continued to relapse in my unconscious state, consuming my mind.
. . .
“I heard your alarm ages ago, what took you so long to get ready?”
My watch pulsed in red, 7:50.
“Are those dreams coming back?”, Mum was inquisitive but kept herself occupied in the kitchen. I furrowed my brow.
I hate it when she calls it that- a dream. A dream is when you’re in a world you wish you could be in. Not a dream arousing from feelings of intense fear, horror, and distress.
I shrugged her question off.
She knows I’m still having them. She was urging me for months to go to a therapist.
I know how much they charge, she works night shifts for extra cash, I’m not going to become another bill to pay off.
. . .
The school halls had always been daunting, always felt a dull presence, the feelings of the formidable eyes tracing my movements.
The eyes watching me like hawks, waiting for the moment I slip up.
Sophia called my name. I smiled and shrugged off the chills that ran through my body like static.
She still doesn’t know that I don’t want to be around people and the Noise.
. . .
I thought I was better, I hadn’t dreamt of the ocean in a while. I had built the courage to fake the new normal. I took a swim with my friends, braved the ocean.
I was not brave enough. It happened. Again. For what felt like the final time. The puppeteer had won, my reality was weak.

A flashlight woke me up, the man greeted me and explains my situation. Severe anxiety?
‘Serena, there was a shift in your teenage life that triggered your anxiety. Your nightmare took a form of your life, the feeling of being on edge exhibited in the car falling off the bridge into the water.’
. . .

My body fights for every last bit of air, as it thrashes against the invisible prison. Numbness encompasses me as water fills my lungs, I hammer down the door- but- this time I break free. It is a lucid dream; I am in control now. I swim, pushing myself further and further to the surface. The light is visible, with one last push I yank my head up breathing the crisp fresh air.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!