The Joy Of Skateboarding


As lockdown hit NSW, my mum was struck by the idea of giving me a skateboard which was in my wish list for a long time.
Finally, the day came, and I received my long-awaited skateboard. Yes! I could hardly wait to try it. I thought to give it a go. My mum advised me to use one foot at a time.

I tried inside the house. It was tricky but fun. My confidence grew. Soon I didn’t need any support from the wall. I was ready to try it outside on the road which looked long and lonely, due to lockdown.

I was so excited and couldn’t wait any longer.
I ran outside, wind in my hair, and sun in my eyes. I started slow and got the hang of it!

I picked up the speed, felt the wind smacking me, my heart galloped like a racehorse. Oh, the feeling of skateboarding! I saw my dad talking to the neighbours. I went faster, it was so fun!

Suddenly, I fell off my skateboard. I was in a weird position. My lips began to quiver and I cried out a big “Ouuuuch!” The pain was unbearable. I started to cry. I wanted my mum to squeeze my hand like she always did. I wanted her to know I love her like I say every day. I wanted her finger to run down my cheek to assure me that I was going to be okay, but she wasn’t here! She was at work!

My father was still talking to my neighbour. Why wouldn’t he come? Can he hear me? I tried screaming but my voice got weaker by the second, luckily my sisters called him. He ran and picked me up. The pain wouldn’t stop and I couldn’t even set my foot on the ground. I thought my ankle was broken!

My dad was racing here and there, trying to figure out what happened. With the colour straining from my face and sweat pouring down, he raced to the hospital. I thought I was going to die!

Finally, I saw the glowing emergency sign at the hospital. It’s not exciting, but it meant help. The doctor said in a calm, soothing voice, “It’s just a twist,”

Later, in a week, they called me back, the doctor made a mistake! It’s actually a fracture! A Fracture? Oh No! My leg was in a moon boot and my hands holding off to crutches, not the skateboard anymore. My new trips were no longer to shopping malls or parks, but instead to the hospital.

I was so sad, my foot was badly hurt, and I couldn’t run! When my friends were playing in the parks, I was home. Sometimes, my mum would blame herself, say that she shouldn’t have got me a skateboard. She came to my room every night to kiss me on my forehead and said. “I’m with you.” Yes mum, I know.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!