I Know Here

Milly ran down to the school yard where Jasmine was

“Jasmine!! We’re moving to Sydney finally once harvest is over! Isn’t it exciting!!” bellowed Milly. People started to crowd in the playground. This was not exciting news. In fact, this was terrible news. I do not want to live in the city, I am happy here where I am, with the goat farm, with my friends and family!



Mum and dad’s goat farm is a big business, its is also the main supplier for meat and crops like cotton and wheat. With us gone, the town will have to find a new supplier and that isn’t going to be easy here, we are practically in the middle of nowhere! And I don’t know Sydney, I know here.



I know the long paddocks of waist high crops, I know the harsh roar of wind flattening them to the moist ground. I know the sound of a river when it runs flowing over the rocks and logs like rapids, and I know the pitter patter of gentle and violent rain hitting a rust spotted old tin roof.



I know the beating sound of a horse’s hooves on the hot red sand in sink with your heartbeat, I know the hot breath he blows out of his nose. I know the skip a beat of a motorbike turning on, I know the heat of mustering in the middle of summer.



I know the swet running down you’re back dampening your shirt, I know the scattering of hooves as goats running off the truck to the trough for a drink after their long trip. I know the white frothy water coming out of the pipe to refill the trough.



I know waking up in the morning to see the frost set on the grass and trees outside, I know the thick white blanket of fog drifting over the lake. I know the ice slushy getting scraped off the wind screen of the car by the window wipers.



I head to school scuffing my shoe against the red dirt as I walk. I hang my head, how could Milly be so happy to leave and just forget about this whole life? To move on like we never lived here, and go to the city like there is where we are meant to be.

“Miss Haley! Could you please show us where Sydney is on the map?” asked Milly

“Ok let’s have a look, Sydney Sydney Sydney, is just there” she pointed to the map and held it up for the class to see

“Wow Milly and Jasmine that is a long way away! We will all have to make a card or a drawing to go with you!” said miss Haley excitedly. Next thing I knew I had chosen a piece of plain white paper which I had covered in drawings.

“You can fold it up and take it with you when you leave” suggested Miss Haley.



Yes, I will I will fold up my drawing and put it in my bag nice and safe, with the drawing I will fold the winding river, I will fold up the hot summer days and the cold winter mornings. I will fold up the beating of a horse’s hooves, I will fold up the paddocks of long crops and the white fog drifting over the lake.



I will fold up the gentle rain on the spotted roof that puts me to sleep at night, I will swap the gentle rain for the sound of cars motors. I will swap the sound of goat’s hooves scattering for the sound of a pushbike rolling along the street. I will swap waking up in the mornings to trees with frost set on the leaves outside for the view of buildings and concrete and skyscrapers in the distance.



I will fold up the hiss of the frothy white water coming out of the pipe to give the goats a drink. I will fold up the rust spotted roof, I will fold up the hot red sand and swap it for hot sandy beaches and wide-open oceans.



I will arrive and open my bag I will find the drawing and I will remember, I don’t know the city. I know here.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!