Dark Days

He'd been dreading this moment and now he could see the ships coming to the bay. As he watched the ships enter the dock he knew he'd have to fight for his life. Tom sat there as the first raiding group came in contact with the garrison before he decided it was time to do his part. He mounted his horse and galloped to the group of archers hidden in the earthworks. When he got there he ordered them to draw their bows and when they did Tom waited until the second raiding group was coming to the first ones aid before he ordered them to fire. As he watched the arrow storm hit home, the second raiding group lost around twenty men, the survivors either wounded or not, taken by surprise as their horses tripped over falling horses and men. The first group expecting to have reinforcements didn't notice and when they did it was to late to retreat. The garrison made quick work of them. The final raiding party was a force of light cavalry, who knowing about the archers, put their shield wall to the north.

Tom knew his job was done, now all he could do was watch the battle. It seemed like years until it was over but it wasn't the garrison that won. It was the raiders, now advancing on his group of archers. His heart leapt into his mouth as he watched them. When he thought all hope was lost an intercepting force hit the cavalry from behind. When the cavalry was confused Tom had his chance. He called for the archers to draw and shoot. The cavalry force took a serious blow as they retreated down the hill towards the ships. Tom felt a thrill of triumph as he watched the cavalry ships retreat.

Tom, an orphaned boy aged fifteen, was skilled with a bow and could shoot better than usual archer standards. His hair was brown and messy, his shirt was shaggy and ripped but he was agile, fast and surprisingly good at climbing. These were skills he needed. When he thought the threat from the raiders was gone a warrior came towards him as a final act and Tom quickly pulled his knife from its scabbard, flicked the knife into his hand, point first, and then threw the knife at the warrior so it struck home in the warriors heart. As the warrior sagged to the ground Tom slowly picked up the knife.

The victory celebration was lively. People laughed, ate and talked loudly. The knights and brightly dressed ladies were drawing a crowd. As Tom ate, Albert came up behind him and said 'Nice work leading those archers.' Tom was surprised to see Albert standing there. Albert said 'Mind if I sit with you?' Tom replied 'Sure. So what's going on?' What Albert said next made Tom feel a thrill of excitement. 'Your going on a mission for the King.'

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!