The Maze Of Mystery

Darkness, I can’t see anything. I walk searching for an exit to this mysterious location. The only things keeping me company are my thoughts and footsteps. I explore the vast void veering left and right, occasionally. Then I see an inconspicuous reflection of light. “finally” I thought “something to guide me out of this disturbing maze of a place!” I sneak over, squatting down to grab the flashlight. I don’t know why I was so overly cautious; I had an inkling someone was following me. I would get a sudden weird, indescribable irk on every turn I made. I pick up the flashlight darting around the enclosed space, desperately searching for a way out of this nightmare. I swing my hand around in the dark hoping it contacts something to give me an easy exit out. My hand lands on a tree, I feel a weak branch between my fingers, then I got an idea, I brake one of the humungous branches off its resting place. Once I found one of the walls of this house of mystery, I prepared to bust through this horror and eventually make my way home. Think smarter, not harder, I thought. I carve through the weak, but dense leaves. I feel sweet relief as I here the calming sounds of rushing water as I’d managed to bash my way to the middle of the maze’s foundation. Confident in my achievement I decided to rest and next morning, using my new knowledge and the daylight to help co-ordinate my way out. I turn and walk right back into bush! My efforts to make it to the middle seemed to be in vain, as if they did not exist. I panic, wait! The walls can regenerate?!?! That provides a lot more challenge… I go to rest my head, SOLID CONCRETE. I throw myself to the ground in hysteria, knowing I was not to pass the time by any easy means. I feel around in my pockets for the branch to continue my path making when my hand hits something. Something metallic. I gaze down taking it out of my pocket. It’s a coin. I travel back to the fountain there’s a label “WISHING FOUNTAIN” so I chuck the coin in. Here goes nothing! My wish? To escape! Then I see an ominous red light peering from the corner of my eye, I chase after it, I recognise it! It’s a remote control car! I keep chase, trying to make enough speed to keep up. Then, I SEE IT, AN EXIT. The mechanical creature vanishes. “I’ve been looking for you” says the figure. “I’m jerry of C.O.D.E I had a report of a missing crew member a while back. Would that be you by any chance?” “Sorry code doesn’t sound familiar…” I reply.
Directing my gaze to the character I say “I need to get home” then as I leave Jerry, I realize I don’t remember anything…

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!