The Flood.

Water rippled around grooves in the pavement quickly as rain flooded into the earth and wind whipped around. Puddles became rivers as the angry, dark clouds didn’t stop sending down droplets of shining raindrops. Clouds covered over the sun blocking its warm rays, and the day became cold with the endless breeze and freezing rain. A baby was loaded into the car after being strapped in to his seat, groaning sadly and tears streaming from its eyes, wide with confusion. The car started up with a buzz before driving off through the rain. The red car’s windshield wipers worked hard as they swung back and forth, racing around the clock to keep the windshield clear of small drops. The car screeched to a stop; the baby being almost flung forward from its baby seat, the leathery seatbelt restraining him, doing its hardest to keep the baby back. Air bags emerged from the window sides and steering wheel as the car skidded to a halt after scraping past a fallen tree. The mother opened the door quickly racing to her baby’s side before opening the door and snatching her child from the baby seat. She gripped him tightly before looking at the tree, laying in the ground, its bark cracked along the bottom. Its roots had been soaked loose of the soil, causing it to tip on the road. The baby wailed and kicked around as the car alarm cried through the air, mourning the crash of its own metal body. Police and ambulances rolled up to the scene investigating and making sure nothing other then the car had been majorly damaged. They closed the road driving the woman and her child home before going back to the scene to redirect trapped cars. The rain came to a stop after ten days of endless storms with floods sweeping over the sunshine coast. Queensland had a look at the sun for the first time in over a week; feeling its warmth soak into their bodies they celebrated and cleaned up what mess the flood had made. The water drained away, below the soil and rocks where it became an underwater pool of fresh, rainwater.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!